Gen 2 question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chwhale, Dec 3, 2008.

1. chwhale macrumors member

I bought an ipod touch for my wife for christmas last week. I've not opened the package yet. Is there a way to tell from looking at the package if I got a 2nd generation unit or not? I got it from Wal-mart and want to make sure that it is one or I'll take it back.

Thanks for your help.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you can see the actual iPod, it's a generation 2. Seriously, there aren't any first-gens left in stores; it's been several months.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

As the OP said, the first generatin hasn't been available in stores for a few months.

You can tell by the box.
    1G - Black cardboard box.
    2G - Clear hard plastic box.

4. chwhale thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. Mine that I bought was clear plastic. I only asked because the Wal-mart I bought it from was in a small town and didn't know if they turned over inventory enough to clear out the G1's.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

No problem.
    Hope your wife likes her new iPod! :)

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Even though the matter's been settled, other ways to tell include volume controls on the side, the metal backplate curving around to meet the screen (on the first gen this is a black aluminum bezel), a sticker over the packaged second gen which shows the App Store icon (which is only in the 2.0+ software which was never preinstalled on the first gen), the second gen features a tapered back (it's thicker in the middle and gets thinner towards the edges of the device) while the first gen has a relatively flat back, the wi fi receiver on the first gen is a rectangle in the corner of the device, while on the second gen it's moved down and is now more of an oval shape...there's also things that can't be seen solely from looking at it such as the speaker and the addition of Nike+iPod.

iParis, I am envious that you beat me to it this time :p