Gen 3 Airport Extreme, Time for upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alx9876, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a 3rd generation Airport extreme. It is running both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wifi signals.

I have been waiting a while now for Apple to release their next gen wifi Exteme model that is now here.

My question is; Do I really need to upgrade to the 6th gen Airport extreme or should I put it off another year?

I really want to buy it, but only if it's night and day fast compared to the 3rd gen model, then I would say yes I will. But it's just meh then I can put it off.

My wifi right now is still plenty fast and I would like to push the current wifi boundaries of wireless "N" when Playstation 4 comes out as well as iPhone 5s and iPad 5 also rumored to be wireless AC. I also want to take advantage of those next gen wifi speeds for these future products.

Money is not a factor here. Just wanted to hear from other 6th gen early adopters.

Thank you for your time.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There have been significant power & coverage boosts in the later models, no doubt you'd see better range and likely better speeds. You'd see significant improvements just moving to the 5th gen, and many 5th gen upgraders are reporting improvements moving from 5th to 6th.

3. bigtroop963 macrumors newbie

Airport 6th gen

I will second that installed two new airport extremes 6th gens today wifi boost was over 30% hooked them up using roaming network. I also have one 5th gen trying to sell, I got screwed on ebay on my other one was only trying to get 90 bucks for it i ended up selling one for 57.00 needless to say i took the other one off ebay!

4. errol macrumors 6502

errol

We have a 2nd generation that's still going strong - a A1143 gigabit model. I'm thinking of selling it and getting the latest Time Capsule myself. I think it's time for an upgrade.

5. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

Thank you all for the great responses. :)

This helped me come to a decision. I'm definitely going to upgrade to the new model.