General Advice 1 pc, 2 macs, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adrake86, Jan 7, 2008.

1. adrake86 macrumors regular

Ok so here is my scenario. I am in college student taking some programming classes (visual basic) and an adv desktop publishing class (word/powerpoint). I have to install some software to take some of the test for the class on a pc. Mac won't work (well will if I have windows on it) but anywayz I have to install a test software (SAM 2003). So here is my setup.

A mac mini 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 1 GB Ram OSX v. 10.4.11

A macbook 2 GHZ core 2 duo 2 GB Ram OSX Leopard V 10.5.1

A dell pc desktop 2.3ghz dual core 2 gig ram xp installed.

Should I sel the mac min because it won't handle paralles/bootcamp? SHould I install parallels on the macbook and just use it. Or should I just use the desktop pc.

I already am thinking that I want to sell the dell and maybe the mac mini but just asking for your suggestions. But I have to do the school work in a windows environment (I know it sucks) :(.

Anywayz THanks

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

If it was me I wouldn't see the point in the desktop - but that's me.

I'd turn the desktop into parallels and a nice external monitor for the MBP

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd sell both the Dell and the Mini, and double boot via Macbook. You can pop a 320gb drive in for <$200, and split it between the OSes.

4. adrake86 thread starter macrumors regular

5. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Or just get a bookendz dock, external hard drive, big monitor, keyboard, and mouse for it.

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Keep the PC and use it for games or put Leopard on it, PC's have terrible resale value and it would be a waste to sell it. The Mac Mini has great resale value especially since its a 1.42 G4, you could probably sell that piece of crap for more than you paid for it to some sucker on ebay.