General Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevenfarrisohi, Feb 25, 2008.

1. stevenfarrisohi macrumors newbie

I am currently a PC user and sick of viruses! I went to a MAC store a week ago and fell in love! I would much rather use two fingers on a touchpad than right click!!!!!

I went into see a MBP - and I love it and surprisingly fell in love with the iMAC 24"! Now I am totally confused - I know both serve different needs. I am diabetic and do like a large screen for my vision. Is the MBP capable of supporting a 27" or 30" monitor? Do I need a special connector? Does the MBP have to be open to run it?

Thanks!

2. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

The MBP certainly supports Apple monitors including the 30". As for other company's, not entirely certain but would assume so. As for the cable, from Apple's website:

What's in the Box

* • MacBook Pro
    * • 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord
    * • Lithium-polymer battery
    * • Apple Remote
    * • DVI to VGA adapter
    * • Install/restore DVDs
    * • Printed and electronic documentation

Also, if you are going to go with a MBP, WAIT!!! They are long overdue for an update and rumors are expecting the new models any week now.

If you decide on the 24" iMac, feel free to purchase away, but if you can afford the MBP / 30" Cinema display...........yeah, I'd go with that.

Also, what you stated about serving different purposes, keep in mind that iMacs are essentially built with laptop parts, meaning you don't get some of those speed and other advantages one would expect from a desktop style computer over a laptop. The iMac harddrive however IS a desktop component allowing you to have more capacity.

Good Luck! (and I'm jealous)

3. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

it definitely depends on your budget... I just picked up a used 20' apple cinema display to go with my MBP and it was the second best investment I have ever made (MBP being the first).... so if your a bit smaller budget a refurbed MBP and a used apple cinema display are amazing (in my view)...if the sky is the limit wait for the MBP update and get a 30inch display!!!