General (and specific ;) ) questions on jailbraking

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by kangping, Aug 29, 2010.

1. kangping macrumors member

Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new to this hole jailbraking thing. Since I don't own an iPhone this is the first time I "have" to think about JBs. I have googled and searched on the forums but somehow could not find the information I was looking for, or just did not realize it was the info I'm looking for.

1.) If the iPad is jailbroken, am I still able to download from the iTunes Store, or will this lock me out?

2.) Whats the main 3 (?) reasons people usually jailbrake? I know this might feel like a stupid question, but maybe I'm missing out on the real thing here :D

edit: do I have to expect any major problems?

3.) Currently my iPad is running on 3.2.2. I am aware that there is currently no Jailbrake available for this version. I did an update on it yesterday, so I am wondering, if I could revert to version 3.2.1 and what the process would be to do this.

if 3=true, then 4.) What would the appropriate steps be to get the darn thing jailbroken ;) (point me out to some tutorial?)

5.) sorry for my poor english.

Thanks a lot for reading up to here. I'll appreciate every info and help.

Dave

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Since you are new to jailbreaking, I'm guessing you didn't save your SHSH before you updated to 3.2.2. If so, unfortunately there is no way to downgrade. You are going to have to wait until iOS 4.x for iPad comes out to get into jailbreaking.

As to your question 1, jailbreaking doesn't take away any functionality. You still have access to the iTunes store and anything else you were able to do before jailbreaking. I'm not sure why so many people have trouble finding this info. It's one of the first things stated in any decent "what is jailbreaking" guides.

As for question 2, I think the reason for jailbreaking can be summarized in one phrase -- more functionality. Multitasking, customizing, direct access to the file system. But again, this info can be found in the many threads in this forum, so I won't go into details here.

Actually, here's a link to a site that has some nice guides to jailbreaking. http://www.hackthatphone.com/4x/read_me_first.html It's mainly focused on the iPhone, but the info also applies to the iPad. I'd recommend you read that first, then come back if you have any more questions.

3. kangping thread starter macrumors member

Hi and thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately if iTunes doesn't save the SHSH, then I didn't. So I will be back, when there is a hack for 4.x…

Until then I will check out that website you linked. Thanks.

Dave

4. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

There are a lot of sites that have the .ipsw files for every iOS on iPhone and iPad.

I used it to restore my iPhone3G from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3 on a new computer with no previous iTunes sync or install. Just need to use redsn0w and RecBoot. I'm assuming one can do the same with the iPad?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nope. Redsnow does not work with iPad, or iPhone 3GS and 4, or iPod touch 3rd gen -- in other words, it only works with older iDevices.

6. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Ah, such would explain my lack of knowledge as I still have an iPhone 3G