Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Why is the price so high from at&t? T-mobile has a much better deal for only 29.99, and that includes WIFI at their hot spots. Not to mention they have the sidekick plan which is unlimited text, AIM, internet and email for only 29.99(19.99 sometimes). What is it with these companies nickel and dimming us for everything? How are they suppose to get younger people to but these phones? For one plan it could add up to 100 dollars!

/end rant

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Maybe it isn't targeted towards the younger crowd? (Which from the price, features, etc it doesn't seem so) In my opinion, AT&T is a premium carrier just like Apple is a premium computer maker. AT&T will charge a premium and people will pay it, it is as simple as that. By the way, where are these hot spots? Any examples?

Hopefully AT&T/Apple will go the sidekick route though, $19.99 - $29.99 for unlimited data & sms. I doubt it, though. :rolleyes:

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Maybe it isn't targeted towards the younger crowd? (Which from the price, features, etc it doesn't seem so) In my opinion, AT&T is a premium carrier just like Apple is a premium computer maker. AT&T will charge a premium and people will pay it, it is as simple as that. By the way, where are these hot spots? Any examples?

Hopefully AT&T/Apple will go the sidekick route though, $19.99 - $29.99 for unlimited data & sms. I doubt it, though. :rolleyes:

At most airports, companies like that set-up WiFi hotspots you have to pay to use.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
This isn't the confirmed price for the iPhone plans right? I assume you're just looking at the PDA Personal Max with 1500 Messages plan?

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
It isn't free, you have to have an account with T-MO to get the wifi access. Similar to Barnes & Noble.

oh well theres a panera right by the starbucks near me, and at panera it is free so i go to starbucks, buy stuff to drink then to panera to eat and get online

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The SideKick is like a Ford Focus and the iPod is like a Lincoln Navigator... Your rims on your Lincoln are going to cost more then your budget Focus.

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
The SideKick is like a Ford Focus and the iPod is like a Lincoln Navigator... Your rims on your Lincoln are going to cost more then your budget Focus.

but if you're getting basically the same service (rims) on your iPhone that T-Mo gives for the sidekick...you shouldn't have to pay more right?

if you buy rims for your focus and then buy the exact same rims for the navigator, they shouldn't just cost more because you're buying them for a more expensive car.

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
Remember that Apple will be getting a cut of whatever AT&T collects on the service plan, so it's in the best interest of both companies to jack up the price as much as possible. Who in their right mind would pay $100/mo for cell phone service though? That makes the price of the iPhone $3000 over 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.