General backing up question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skinnylegs, Jun 2, 2009.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I copied my Home folder to an external HD yesterday, which took some time because it incorporates approx. 100 gigs.

My questions is this.....

If I drag that same folder to the external HD again today, I am presented with a dialogue box that states that the folder already exists and asks if I want to cancel the operation or replace the folder. If I replace the folder will it only copy over those files that are new and/or modified or does it literally start from scratch and copy all files over again?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It erases the file that is on there are starts to copy the folder again.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will overwrite everything.

Can't you use Time Machine?

Or you could look into Carbon Copy Cloner.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I prefer SuperDuper, which is similar to CC. It has the advantage of the backup being bootable.

Being a bit paranoid, I have two external HDs; both have backup from SuperDuper (not identical, different months), and a separate partition where I copy my home directory as <volume>/date/<home directory>

It never hurts to have too much backup.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

SuperDuper is good. You can also home-brew a RSYNC script which is easier IMO.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As for CCC not making a bootable backup: http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html .
    It can, and I did, and the copy speed of CCC surpasses the copy speed of Super Duper, and CCC is free.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh.

7. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Everything has worked out great. Offloading my music files freed up approx. 50 gigs of HD space on my MBP which represents about 33% of the HD capacity. I decided to leave my photos on the MBP since HD space isn't an issue anymore.

I set up Time Machine on the MBP using a USB 2 external HD. I also have a FW external HD which I manually copy over my Home folder to once a week. Afterwards, I eject it and place it in a fireproof safe.

Thanks for the help, everybody!