General General: Having a sticky for questions about jailbreaks and iOS version and stuff

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Totally, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I notice that there are many times where people are asking about things such as downgrading via SHSH blobs on devices that can't or iOS versions that can't and asking questions about iOS 7.1 jailbreaks (which according to pod2g from jailbreak con, won't be done on his watch).

Can we have a sticky post with answers to all these frequently asked questions? I would even make one... I think it would save a lot of the same threads from being repeated and it could be a 1 stop answer for all those sorts of questions.

Thoughts?

2. Tmlfan3 macrumors regular

In concept it's a great idea but years of forum experience has shown me that lots of people asking those types of questions will ignore the sticky and post a new topic anyways

3. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

Ah alright. The point was because if you look at page 1, so many of the posts are: "Is my _____ device jailbreakable." or "Can I downgrade?" It would just make the first page easier on the eyes if all that generic easy to answer stuff was gone. I'd even write a post...

4. LoLife macrumors regular

Agreed here. I don't think it would stop most of them from piston anyway. I think it's a great idea but honestly the people that ask those questions probably won't read the sticky. I mean those that post the thread already can't read the 10 other threads on the first page or do a quick google search. Trust me I like the idea but I just don't think it will stop them

5. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

Alright, well I tried :). I guess this can be closed and deleted.

6. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

Apologies for kicking a dead horse here, but the signal-to-noise ratio in the JB forum seems to be getting even worse than it already was when Totally started this thread.

The points were already made that a sticky probably wouldn't help because the people asking how to downgrade their devices are clearly incapable of even the most basic preliminary research, and as such are not likely to read a sticky.

What would be very helpful would be an adjustment to the forum rules which would make it so that users have to take a very basic "quiz" before being allowed to start a new thread. The quiz would be very simple, with multiple choice questions like "what is the latest version of iOS that can be jailbroken?" and "Is it possible to downgrade an iPhone? check one: yes_ no_" Heck, even if it was just the last question, that would be good enough. One would have to be able to correctly answer the questions on the quiz before being allowed to start a new thread.

Is this terribly un-democratic? Probably, but there are times when a low-grade meritocracy may prove preferable.

I know this is probably a total pipe-dream, but maybe one of the MacRumors admins will read this and take some pity on us.

7. Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

I honestly agree with you, it's even worse now. I would be totally for this. Is that something that a forum can implement though?

I'm just sick of the same threads over and over. They just turn into troll threads.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I might suggest a third alternative…

One forum I am a member of has a severe issue with spam. As such they have instituted an automatic moderation system. The system searches for key words or phrases that are indicative of spam (in relation to that forum) in a new post. When triggered by those words or phrases the new post is kicked into a moderation queue.

The post must be reviewed by a moderator and approved before the post actually shows up on the forum. The poster receives an email when their post is approved. The system works for both new threads and replies.

Surely, something like that could be implemented in this specific forum, set to search for key words and phrases relevant to the kind of content we are frustrated by here. A mod, could refer a poster to an appropriate thread containing all the pertinent info and then reject the post.

Of course this would increase the load on mods, but perhaps someone (or some users) here could be designated as JB forum mods for this purpose (I can think of several good users for this)? That would release the general mods from having to also cover this forum and I believe would result in a cleanup of the quality of content here. Further, there would not be a need for a sticky as several specific posts could be created and just referred to as needed by those designated as mods.

This is just my thought on the matter. I hesitate to proscribe tests to post simply for the fact that there are legitimate newbies who are struggling to understand, even when they've used both Google and the search function here. That user shouldn't be denied help simply for lack of knowledge.

9. Tmlfan3 macrumors regular

I've also been on forums where members had to reach X number of posts before they can start their own topic. We have a stickied help thread that they could post in and it would force some people to search for a proper thread to post in (ideally)

10. Totally, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

Totally thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally

Honestly, I think having moderators that closed these activation lock and other repeated threads would go a long way in stopping the problem.

11. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013