General Instructions for formatting SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MBHockey, Mar 29, 2009.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I purchased an SSD off newegg and it should arrive shortly. It's an OCZ Vertex 250 GB. I've read a bunch of threads on SSDs here and I'm wondering if there's any generalized instructions or things to watch out for when formatting an SSD for Leopard. This is going inside a 2.4 GHz MacBook.

2. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

I just used Disk Utility and formatted the entire drive to HFS extended journaled format. It's very easy to use. I did it while booting off the Leopard install disc after putting the SSD in. Setup begins. One of the first screens you get to (before the install begins) has a menu at the top. Find Disk Utility. Go there and you'll see your drive. Highlight your drive and find the button to erase it (or format it). You'll see a list of possible formats. Pick one that says either Mac OSX extended (journaled) or HFS extended (journaled) - I forget which it says. There is an option to choose a case-sensitive format. You can do that if you want - I did not. Then start formatting. It just takes a sec. Then exit Disk Utility and continue setup.

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So there's no difference between formatting an SSD or an HDD? I only ask because I had read something about issues with the MBR of the drives when they came formatted for Windows. I don't remember which drive that discussion was centered around, but maybe it was a quirky issue specific to that drive.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I wouldnt think it would be any different than a regular hard drive.
    (I could be wrong tho)

5. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, I found a thread in the MBP forum about this drive specifically which has been really helpful. I missed it for the last 2 days. There should be a single notebook forum!

:)

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Sometimes I feel that way too but majority of the time I dont want MBP stuff popping up when I'm trying to find something out about the MacBook, ya know..