Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xybadog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
1) If I get an unlocked iphone direct from Apple and decide to JB do I need to have the sim in the phone or not during the JB process?

2) Also, will it stay unlocked after JB'ing? (I'm guessing it will but need to be sure).

3) If my new phone comes with an earlier IOS to 6.1.2 can I update it to 6.1.2 instead of 6.1.3 anyhow?

4) I'm lost with this Activation and Hacktivation thing. If I put my sim card in and activate it (though I'm not sure what that means) does it mean I can't use a different sim at a later date even though the handset is unlocked?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
1) If I get an unlocked iphone direct from Apple and decide to JB do I need to have the sim in the phone or not during the JB process?

2) Also, will it stay unlocked after JB'ing? (I'm guessing it will but need to be sure).

3) If my new phone comes with an earlier IOS to 6.1.2 can I update it to 6.1.2 instead of 6.1.3 anyhow?

4) I'm lost with this Activation and Hacktivation thing. If I put my sim card in and activate it (though I'm not sure what that means) does it mean I can't use a different sim at a later date even though the handset is unlocked?

1) does not matter
2)buy it factory unlocked stays factory unlocked
3) only can update to signed iOS and that is 6.1.3, so no. Unless you have an A4 or lower device i believe
4)I am not the person to know this info. Sorry:(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

1. You don't need the sim to jailbreak but it has to he activated in order to jailbreak

2. Jailbreaking and unlocking is NOT the same thing. Jailbreaking will not unlock for you. It's best to get an IMEI unlock from your carrier or buy a factory unlocked device

3. No, you either stay with the firmware the device is at or restore/update to 6.1.3 (which is not jailbreakable)

4. There's no such thing as hacktivation for the iPhone 4S and 5. If the device is unlocked by the carrier or factory unlocked, you don't have to worry about having trouble getting to the home screen and use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.