general laptop question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chuchichan, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new Mac laptop and I'm not sure which one to get. I won't be using the laptop for "heavy" apps like Aperture, Photoshop, etc. I will mainly use it to store recent photos, use iPhoto, email, internet, office, etc.

Cost is not necessarily a factor. I tried out all three models (Macbook, Macbook Pro, and the Air). I was impressed with how fast the shutdown/restart is on the Air. I also liked the feel of the Pro (it seemed more stable on the table). The Air seemed to want to tip over backwards when I opened it. I realized that this wasn't so much of a factor after I placed my hands on it to start typing.

I know I said cost wasn't really a factor, but the reason I consider the Macbook is because it is cheaper and still seemed to have a nice display.

I realize this is the Pro form, but I wasn't sure where to post, so I posted in the laptop forum with the most activity. So, if there's somewhere else I should be posting, please direct me there.

So, what are your thoughts on all of the laptops and how they might work for me?

Thanks...

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Any of them will work for you, although you might want to take storage space into consideration. I'd just get whichever you prefer to use.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

for your usage I think a MacBook will suffice your needs greatly, if you have a lot of files, you might consider upgrading the hard drive in it.

4. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention that I'll be using it often for video chats. Are one of these models better than the other for video?

What I'm really going to miss is my isight camera on my Powerbook G4. I like how I can move it around during chats and not be limited to sitting down to be seen or to show what is happening in the room.

Does anyone else notice this or miss this?

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

all of these will be able to handle all of your needs, and a lot more.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think the Macbook would be perfect for you. It has enough power to handle your needs, yet isn't as expensive as the MBP or as "tippy" as the MBA.

7. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thanks for the replies. With the MBA, do others notice this "tippiness"?

Also, anyone else miss the freedom of the iSight? Seems like the iSight will be done in a couple of years. While I won't miss the cable setup, I will miss the freedom.

Is it at all possible with the use if adapter to connect this to a new model of Mac laptop?