General Mac Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CelticLenny, Mar 24, 2013.

1. CelticLenny macrumors newbie

Thanks for any help the questions are:

1) Do the free top rated apps work? Such as iAntiVirus and Memory Clean. Because I have a generally new mac and I tried memory clean and it said it got me lots more space, but I don't understand how it could have and also how if it doesn't work how it got to number 1.

2) How can I check for a virus/trojan on my mac? How do I virus scan before downloading? Because I just downloaded http://wolfenstein-enemy-territory.en.softonic.com/mac and I opened it and it made this terrible sound and wouldn't let me close it (I managed to in the end) so I am worried about a trojan/virus and I did try to virus scan but didn't know how.

3) How can I keep my mac on over night downloading something? I am confused on what works because I tried energy saver preferences but when I woke up I found I had to put my password in so I don't think it was downloading. (Because if you just close the lid it won't download right?)

4) How do I delete a program downloaded from the internet the ones if you press come up.

Please if you only know one or two of the answers just put the answer like this 3- (Insert answer)

2. simsaladimbamba

iAntiVirus and Memory Clean are not needed.
    Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

AV software is not needed if you employ the proper security steps on your Mac.
    Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

Caffeine or Insomnia X might help.

I do not fully understand what you mean with "the ones if you press come up", but

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. CelticLenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that was a ****ing awesome answer!
    Thankyou <3

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Welcome to MacRumors!!:D

Along with some silliness, the occasional ca-ca, general sharing of ideas...there are some generous and incredibly helpful people around who are willing to give their time to help you out.

simsaladimbamba, GGJstudios, Macman45, and many others are fantastic sources of information.

Have fun!!!:D

5. CelticLenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Question 4 I missed the f4 the ones if you press f4 come up sorry

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is Launchpad that comes up with all your apps listed. Here is an article that explains how to remove items from the Launchpad.

7. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

F4 brings up the Dashboard. Click the minus sign in the lower left corner, and then click on the x's that appear on the widgets that you wish to remove.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The default setting for F4 is Launchpad on newer Macs. Launchpad stole that key from the Dashboard. From OP's description, it sounds like he is talking about Launchpad.