Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hey all,
I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting sick of the level of negativity in this forum. I can't seem to get through one thread lately without reading something critical and insulting towards the OP. I can understand the criticism towards someone who appears to be trolling, but other than that, people are acting like forum police. I'm just getting frustrated and was wondering if anyone shares these feelings. I also fully expect to be flamed for this thread, but don't care at this point. Thx

Alectric

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
No flaming here. Ifeel your frustrations and agree that certain people are just way to fast to want to call someone a troll and bash them when a not so perfect question is asked. I guess that their just is a lot of unhumble people who need to learn some copping skills.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Apologies for posting in the wrong forum, if an admin can move the thread i'd appreciate it.

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
Take everything with a pinch of salt. These arent real people they're just pretend "internet" people. Therefore they dont really know you and cant really upset you.

That's how i looks at it anyway. I find the trolls, the really trolls like that "iPad/64gb/3g/$829 Elite Club Member" guy, really really funny. It doesnt matter whether he's trying to be funny, or being serious, either way, it amuses me.

undrpsi

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Yeah, have had several run-in's with posters who are just trying to start fights. Their argument is this is a free and open board (which it is)...but...it is a also a mac-centric board that is mostly populated with people who like Apple products. To come on here, over and over again, and post the same negative comments is like "....wearing your McDonalds uniform into Burger King and yelling the "King Sucks"...someone is going to yell back..."

Having said that, if you think this board is acrimonious, go on Engadget and read some of the posts about any Apple products...one thread about the iPad had 804 comments and 80% of them are still about Flash use.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
This is the most aggressive forum I have ever used. It really makes the forum useless. I picture a bunch of 15 year old kids and 40 year old fat apple fan boys are the offenders. I think in both cases they need to get laid and chill out.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Here is this better:

unicorns-rainbow.jpg

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
No kidding. I posted a simple question about which carrier would be best to use for shipping to Canada and got a couple nice smart ass remarks. Why even bother posting on someone's thread just to be a jerk? :confused:

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
This is the most aggressive forum I have ever used. It really makes the forum useless. I picture a bunch of 15 year old kids and 40 year old fat apple fan boys are the offenders. I think in both cases they need to get laid and chill out.

I joined these forums in 2008 when the aluminum MacBook was released.
Back then it was a pleasant atmosphere. Things have really changed around here now. The release of the iPad seems to have made it worse! :(

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009

Put both together in a small room with a block of lard.

Problem solved.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Sorry, IMO, naming the three major shipping carriers is not helpful, and reiterating after clarifying my question was not helpful.

...well if you knew that the three major shipping carriers weren't "the best", why did you even ask? You asked a question and got two honest answers. For some reason you didn't agree with them, but props for not being whiney about it like so many others I guess.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Espcially coming from a member who called me "trashy" in another post.
She didn't call you trashy.
Thanks for ruining it for people who aren't trashy enough to lie. :rolleyes:
You got upset that several people criticized you for admittedly lying to Apple to get a free iPad replacement for one that YOU scratched. So now you're holding a grudge and when the same person tries to help you in another thread, you call a perfectly reasonable response a "smart ass remark"? Real mature! :rolleyes: I'd say you're the one bringing negativity, not jessica.

jessica. Join Date: Feb 19, 2005 Total Posts: 21,773 (11.40 posts per day)
ijen0311 Join Date: Jul 4, 2009 Total Posts: 186 (0.59 posts per day)

I'm gonna guess that jessica. has very likely helped a few more people in this forum than you have, so forgive me if I give her more credibility than you.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
She didn't call you trashy.

You got upset that several people criticized you for admittedly lying to Apple to get a free iPad replacement for one that YOU scratched. So now you're holding a grudge and when the same person tries to help you in another thread, you call a perfectly reasonable response a "smart ass remark"? Real mature! :rolleyes: I'd say you're the one bringing negativity, not jessica.

Why didn't you post my final response to the thread? As I stated there, I had a wifi iPad that was plagued with (wifi) problems, and I was admittedly unclear in my post about visiting the Genius bar. Since you seem to be able to go back and find posts, you can see that I posted about wifi problems well before my scratch. I exchanged on the basis of wifi problems (which my replacement iPad does not have).

Sorry, whether I was called "trashy" or the action was called "trashy", it's simply an example of an unnecessarily negative comment.

And you're right, I've probably helped no one (unless they were buying a Switcheasy nude for the iPad). But you'll also be hard pressed to find me calling anyone names in another post.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why didn't you post my final response to the thread?
Because it's not necessary to rehash that entire thread here. The point is, you're carrying resentment about another thread into your attitude in subsequent threads. You're the one spreading negativity. You overreacted to her comment in one thread and now you've overreacted to her genuine offer of help in another. And now you're carrying that same negative attitude to this thread. Get over it!

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I'm happy to hear that there are other people who share my view. I just learn to ignore the offensive posts and move on to the subject of the thread. Overall, it's a good forum to come to for help and insight into apple products-just got to look past the ******s.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thick skin and flame-repellant clothing are highly recommended. Don't forget about the ignore list... Comes in very handy sometimes.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
I find that websites for local television news outlets that allow comments on their stories to be the worst. If you really want to see some crazy ignorant internet hate, just read the comments on any story on your local news outlet website. It's barely one step above craigslist "rant and rave". The "republicans this" and "democrats that" fingerpointing and blame shifting makes me think that either a.) the internet has been taken over entirely by political extremists, or b.) the 21st century will be the beginning of a new thousand year dark age.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Thick skin and flame-repellant clothing are highly recommended. Don't forget about the ignore list... Comes in very handy sometimes.

The deficiency in the ignore list is that it doesn't send any message to the offender. In a normal society, offenders would be shunned by the community at large and, most importantly, they'd know it because people would visibly avoid them.

Problem here is that we can all put some jerk on our ignore lists (and derive a modicum of satisfaction from that) but the clear message never gets back to him that "decent folk" are avoiding him. There's no feedback mechanism.

Wouldn't it be great if there was an "unpopularity" notation beside each poster's name? You know, where it says "6502" or whatever, it could also say "30% ignored", or something. And the more ignored you are, the smaller the font that's used for your postings - all the way down to, "too small to be legible"! That would be a clear message, yes?

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010

This. I am a member of several other forum sites (not computer-related) and it is the same everywhere. A bunch of nice people who are willing to share info and help others, and some trolls and negative people who cannot say a positive thing if their life depended on it. The ignore option is your friend.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There are multiple ways of phrasing a question:
A. My xyz seems to have a problem, these are the specs and steps to replicate the problem
B. xyz is a POS, it doesn't do what I want. (trolling and vague)
Think of which one is going to get yelled at?

That is just flame-bait. Ever visited an Apple Store? That's the demographics of real Apple users. You are thinking of Engadget users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.