general netbook questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, Oct 6, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hi guys I want to buy an HP Mini 311 shown below.

I want to upgrade the ram, but am confused. It says it includes 1 GB of RAM with a maximum of 3 GBs. Does this mean there is 1 GB built in and the only way to upgrade is to buy a stick of 2 GB DDR3 laptop RAM? Thanks.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...category=notebooks&series_name=mini311_series

-Is there a big difference between the Intel Atom N270 and 280 processor? Some people when I search through google say yes, the others say no.

-Is the Intel Atom powerful enough for internet usage, word documents, and Hulu fullscreen?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Where do you read the maximum of 3GB? As far as I know, there aren't any netbook-class device or Atom devices in general that support more than 2GB of memory.

As far as your other questions, this is not an ION-based netbook, right? I don't have specific experience with it, but the Asus model with the same screen size and resolution was widely reported to have a tough time with full screen high-res Flash, and my EeeBox, which is not too dissimilar specs-wise struggles on my TV at that resolution -- it's watchable but there are definitely dropped frames at med-high quality. The Ion might help a little but since it's Flash, it may not make that much of a difference even for the Ion-based ones....

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you understand that (a) you said 3 in your first post and (b) that 2 and 3 are different numbers, right? :p And that you didn't provide that link initially? :p

Hmmm, I dunno. If this is a 3GB netbook, it's a first AFAIK. It seems curious, considering all the restrictions that Microsoft places on Netbook use of XP. It's weird to make it have a max of 3GB when everyone else is at 2 and they don't even advertise the upgradeability on their own website.

I'd wait for confirmation from someone who has one and upgraded it, e.g. on one of the netbook forums...

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Oops sorry that was a typo. It clearly states 3 GBs under maximum memory in that link. Sorry!

Thanks for the help so far!

So is Hulu a yes or no?

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I had an HP Mini 1030nr up until last week. It was not the Ion chipset, however - it had the Intel GMA950 graphics.

And it sucked.

At just about everything.

That's why I sold it. :D

**(To be completely fair, I believe the biggest issue with my little HP was its crappy 16GB SSD. It was dog slow on just about anything. The fact that it wouldn't play Hulu videos smoothly was the main reason I sold it. See me old thread here if you want more info.)