Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillStew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Alabama
Hey Guys,
After a quick search I realized that there may be people who do not know how to do this or haven't thought about doing this...
I am about to purchase a new UB MBP and I would like to enable my existing Airport Extreme that is the first release (this means no dual band) to allow only N connections. I would like to supplement this by adding another wireless router I have laying around that is only B/G.
To do this, should I just plug the B/G only router into a LAN port on my Airport Extreme and set up a new wireless network with another name such as "PhillStew N" for the Airport Extreme and "PhillStew B/G" for the other wireless router? Even more so, will nodes on my network that are plugged into the LAN ports on my B/G router be able to "see" nodes plugged into or wirelessly connected to the LAN ports/N connection on my Airport Extreme? Will computers connected to the B/G router be able to mount an Airport Disk that is attached to the Airport Extreme?
For clarity, I have created a representation diagram of how I think this should be hooked up, which I am fairly certain is correct. As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• NW_Diag.jpg
    NW_Diag.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 62

PhillStew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Alabama
Great find bud! I'm a regular Engadget reader but I must have missed that whenever it was originally posted.

One quick question though...

The article says to connect both routers' LAN ports. Would you not want to go from a LAN out port on the Airport Extreme to the WAN in on the cheapo router?

PhillStew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Alabama
I see...and that's what I'm trying not to allow to happen. Thanks again, and for the speedy reply!

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
Hey Guys,
After a quick search I realized that there may be people who do not know how to do this or haven't thought about doing this...
I am about to purchase a new UB MBP and I would like to enable my existing Airport Extreme that is the first release (this means no dual band) to allow only N connections. I would like to supplement this by adding another wireless router I have laying around that is only B/G.
To do this, should I just plug the B/G only router into a LAN port on my Airport Extreme and set up a new wireless network with another name such as "PhillStew N" for the Airport Extreme and "PhillStew B/G" for the other wireless router? Even more so, will nodes on my network that are plugged into the LAN ports on my B/G router be able to "see" nodes plugged into or wirelessly connected to the LAN ports/N connection on my Airport Extreme? Will computers connected to the B/G router be able to mount an Airport Disk that is attached to the Airport Extreme?
For clarity, I have created a representation diagram of how I think this should be hooked up, which I am fairly certain is correct. As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry for the off-topic question - but which program did you use to draw the diagram? Looks kinda cool :)

PhillStew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Alabama
Those icons don't look like Visio... maybe OmniGraffle?

OmniGraffle is correct. It came on my PowerBook that I've used since 2004 and that's the first diagram that I've ever posted online or used for someone other than myself. You can bring up a pane titled networking that had all sorts of neat diagram making things.

Another question:

How can I get my task bar to show network speeds just like they do in the screen shots of the Engadget article?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.