General New MacBook Pro Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleBoyFreak, Oct 10, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

I have 4 very quick questions.

1. What is the Ram limit for the base model 2012 15" cMBP?
    2. Where can you get the best/cheapest ram?
    3. What is the best SSD and where can I order one?
    4. Where can you view how much space has been used on your harddrive and where do you go to delete it like old iPhone backups.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

1. Currently 16 GB RAM.
    2. Depends on your location, Newegg is used in the US a lot. You can also get RAM from Crucial or Corsair and a lot of other retailers. It isn't that expensive, 16 GB can be had for 80 € and less nowadays.
    3. Nowadays the Samsung 830 is recommended a lot.
    4. :apple: > About this Mac > More Info > Storage

To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Feeling a little math-challenged? :D
    You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    There are dozens of threads on SSD recommendations and which one is best is a matter of opinion.
    Finder is used to browse files/folders on your drive.

This may be useful:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That's four questions, and they're quite vague.

1) 16GB

2) There is no "best" RAM, just get the cheapest, compatible RAM that you can from a reputable company.

3) There is no "best" SSD. You can order from Amazon or Newegg, amongst other reputable resellers.

4) You can see it on the bottom of the initial Finder window (how much free space you have), amongst other places. Not sure what you mean by "going to delete it" - do you mean how to delete an application? Drag it to the trash, and then do a Finder file search of the name of the application that you are looking to delete to make sure you get everything pertaining to it.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. > Give the last few pages of this thread a read. Pay attention to recommendations from user Hellhammer. He writes SSD reviews for Anandtech and knows his stuff. I believe his current recommendation is the Samsung 830 SSD. Many users here have had good results with this SSD. It is widely available at online shops like Newegg or Amazon.

4. > To delete old iOS backups open iTunes preferences and under the device tab (see my screen cap) select and delete and backups listed for devices you no longer own. Then empty your trash.

[​IMG]

6. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

One last question: I have a photo I took on Photo Booth and when ever I try to empty my trash to fully get rid of the photo it says that I can't because it is in use somewhere. Does anybody know how to fully delete it? Btw thanks to everyone for their help. The only other question I have is that I still don't know how to view how much free space my hard drive has.

7. simsaladimbamba

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash and Solving Trash Problems

Go to Finder, open a window (CMD+N) and look at the bottom of the window. If there is no line similar to "xy items, 27.8 GB available", click on the Menu Bar > View > Status Bar.