general performance of Watch 3 vs series 1?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kofman13, Mar 16, 2018.

1. kofman13 macrumors regular

I have had series 1 aluminum since launch and its served me well. But on this latest watch OS even with a restore, performance is very very clunky. Choppy, lots of apps freeze for longer than i would like. Loading apps is pretty slow, theres a significant delay to everything basically. The worst is the activity app, which freezes for about 30-40 seconds everytime i open it.

How is general smoothness and performance on Series 3? preferrable from people who came from series 1. The price isnt much concern for me since its been 2.5 years since i got series 1, and i can trade it in to shave off a little from the price for series 3.

ALSO..... who thinks there will be a a series 4 this year? should i wait? march? June?

EDIT: It appears i have an apple watch series ZERO? i have the first apple watch that came out

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I remember when I got my AW3 after using the AW2. The CPU was faster which made the paring and unpairing functions much quicker. If you are coming from a Series 1, you will notice all works much better but still not going to say it is "snappy".

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The series three is much faster. Worth the upgrade from series 1 to series 3, in my opinion.

4. CNebs macrumors member

I went from Series 0 to Series 3 with LTE, night and day difference. The Series 3 is the watch it was meant to be compared to the Series 0, and I loved my Series 0. I love the Series 3 with LTE even more. It’s nice to leave my phone at home and go to the gym or for a run, and be able to stream music, see messages or take a call if absolutely necessary. Apps also load up faster, but be aware some third-party apps aren’t built for cellular use and still need the iPhone nearby. All in all a great purchase that I’m more than happy about getting.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Being that you have the first generation Apple Watch compared to the Series 3, the difference is massive in terms of performance with applications, load times are quicker, powering on and off Apple Watch is much quicker, virtually zero lag between navigating through the Apple Watch, and not to mention the other improved features with the water resistance rating and 50 m, twice as bright display, the battery life has also improved as well due to the performance of the processor.

6. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Series 1 is actually 2nd generation and the second chip out of three total. "Series 0" is what people are calling the first Apple Watch. Also, series 1 has same chip as series 2. The jump he is asking about unless he made the Series 1 v Series 0 mistake as well, is the previous chipset before the Series 3.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No, if you reread the original post, the OP was referring to the first generation Apple Watch. It’s stated “Edit” at the bottom of the post.

Reference:

8. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i have the very first series 0 model A1554.

so im thinking of getting series 3 next week and trade in my S0. but what if they announce a S4 this month or june? :(

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s still early to know if Series 4 will launch in the fall. You will greatly appreciate the vast differences with Series 3 in terms of the water resistance, brighter display, it’s much faster, GPS, and the battery life has greatly improved. Series 3 is a great choice and you can’t go wrong.

10. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I was thinking the same thing -going from the S1 to the S3. Decided to hold out for a price drop on the S3 when the S4 rolls around and swoop one up then.

11. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I have both the original and the Series 3. The Series 3 is, as has been previously stated, like night and day. Depending upon the app, of course. Note that if you include the most recent apps in the Dock, they'll load even faster.

12. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thinking if I should get now... what if S4 comes out in June or September :(

13. seble macrumors 6502a

I'm sharing your dilemma. My series 0 is VERY long in the tooth. I have to charge it 2-3x a day, and I workout with it daily. Every time I go to start a workout (I only use it for that and notifications) it freezes and sometimes restarts. It's incredibly frustrating. Part of me would drop some money for the black stainless steel, but I'm not willing to do that if it becomes outdated soon.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If I had to give you both my educated guess, I would believe a Series 4 Apple Watch will launch/announce in September 2018 along side the iPhones. My thoughts Are the hardware will be slightly tweaked with the hardware and be more focused on the health oriented side. The Apple Watch Series 3 is already very robust with all its features and capabilities, now it’s a building process with health improvements.

15. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm then I might get the S3 now so I can enjoy benefits for a few months. THen if S4 comes out in September and looks amazing then I’ll get that via trade up for S3 like I would the S3 by trading in S0

16. Relentless Power, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple is highly unpredictable. If Series 4 does happen, it won’t be until September. Either way, if you want the Series 3, take advantage of it and try to not to be overly concerned with the future. You would appreciate the upgrades with Series 3.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you want or need a new watch, get one. If a new one is announced or released within the 14 day purchase, you can return the watch and buy a different one. If it is past the 14 day return, you can either keep the watch, sell it, or buy the new watch and have two.

Do you buy a new car, t.v. or any other consumer product every time a new one is announced, just because you want the latest model for the next several months?

Some of you guys make buying Apple products way too hard on yourselves, in my opinion.