General PowerPC Hardware discussion

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ptdebate, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

A user on this forum recently brought up the question of whether or not early Intel (x86) Macs should be discussed alongside their near-contemporary PowerPC predecessors. It was determined that the PowerPC subforum was concerned more with a particular architecture than a time period.

Does anyone here follow the current development of the Power platform? What is it being used for? Is there any future for it? Will it ever challenge Intel in the PC space? Why or why not?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I think that could be better expressed as "a particular architecture" pertaining to Apple computers.
    So in that context in my opinion, it will never come back to challenge Intel.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

IBM and a couple of smaller companies are still working on Power chips.

Some video game consoles have had Power chips in them, including the Wii, Wii U, Gamecube, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3.

The name has changed a few times, it's no longer Power PC. It was Power Architecture for a while and I think it's now Power ISA.

IBM is supposedly still making servers using Power chips. Cisco was putting them in their routers for a while, I do not know if they are still using them.