General Q regarding future 3GS JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by oinkage, Oct 18, 2011.

1. oinkage macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a legally unlocked 3GS currently JB'ed with OS 4.3.1 on baseband 05.16.02.

As my phone is legally unlocked (paid for), do I even have to worry about what my baseband is or blobs(?) etc. to jailbreak?

Can I just download stock os5 ipsw from Apple and use redsn0w to do a tethered JB? (/or wait for a untethered JB?)

Thanks!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well,,, not sure what you mean that "Legally" and depending on "who" you paid to, that unlocked may be Factory or not. but for the sake of the thread, if by that you mean that your carrier unlocked the phone, then it is a "factory" unlocked basedband and yes you do not have to worry about upgrades, once the phone is unlocked, iTunes will know that and unlocked the BB after each upgrade/restore.

3. oinkage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, maturola.

Yes, the 3GS is factory unlocked, so then I take it I'll never have to worry about the unlock "disappearing".

However, what I'm more concerned about is jailbreaking: As long as there's a JB method available, can I update to the stock ipsw from iTunes (or clean install from iTunes) and JB the phone and not worry about what baseband I'm on etc?

4. mds macrumors 6502

You are correct. The baseband is only an issue for using non-factory unlock software. If your unlock is an official factory unlock you only need to look at what can be jailbroken.