General queries about going from Tiger Quadcore to Leopard Octocore...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleNewton, Mar 12, 2008.

1. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

For those who have switched from their Tiger Quadcore MacPros to the new Leopard Octocore MacPros...I had some questions about the set up and how things are running now since its already upto 10.5.2

I run basically these programs:
    Adobe Photoshop CS2
    ImageReady CS2
    Illustrator CS2
    InDesign CS2
    ---
    Dreamweaver / Flash / Fireworks 8
    ---

Office 2004
    ---

ProTools LE
    ---

Also like to use MacTheRipper, Handbrake, Popcorn etc.

is there a general lack of support for the CS2 Applications and the Macromedia Applications?

I dont have the funds at my disposal to unload on the entire CS3 Suite ( I REALLY WOULD BUT cant now...so CS2 is my only bet)

Is there still support for the future with CS2 and Macromedia8?
    i realize theyre old Apps but they have faired well for me for the past few years :)

Im just trying to get a general conscious of what to expect ~ i have tried running leopard on this set up ran CS2, Macromedia 8 and Office 04 didnt seem bad at all..but i wasnt sure as i didnt spend all day every day with them and moving to that specific platform id like to kind of be aware of any issues anyone has experienced first hand as there is no going back then - lol.

---
    side question;

Anyone who has used bootcamp with their Quadcore MacPros were you able to swap your Windows Drive from the macpro to the new Octocore macpro without having to reinstall?

(just curious as my apps, codecs and everything are running perfect and its been a pain in the ass to get it this way)

Thanks!!

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'd say you'll see a bigger jump staying on the 4 core and getting CS3 than sticking with CS2 and going 8 core.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I doubt Adobe will do anything about those apps. Basically any compatibility issues that arise from an OS revision or Platform change only gets addressed with a new release. With Office 2004 there may be some hope. I have to agree with irishgrizzly you will notice more of a speed boost upgrading to CS3 and Office 2008 than upgrading to an Octo-core from a Quad-Core.

As for Windows, since you are moving from one computer to another you will have re-activate windows since too many hardware id's will not match up. For re-install that really depends on the Windows Version, XP does not like changes in the northbridge and southbridge chipsets since it does not have drivers loaded to boot off of them though the Intel chips may be close enough to work. Windows Vista I believe is more lenient, I think it has all drivers from the install DVD stored on the hard drive to allow movement from one PC to another like OS X does on Macs.

Either way you will at least need to re-activiate Windows requiring a call to Microsoft, I have never had the slightest problem with this.

4. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

well if the issues cannot be fixed with my current MacPro Quadcore system ive been looking into the new Octocore system since eve the quadcore refurbs were only preinstalled with leopard and cannot add tiger to them