General question about Macbook Pro & fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adsfa, Jun 29, 2007.

1. adsfa macrumors newbie

Hi,

on My Powerbook 1.33 the fans always never come on, only if I it has 100% CPU load for more than 10 minutes (even when the lid is closed). What's the situation with the Macbook Pro? From what I've heard the fans seem to be much more active on this one?

Thanks
    Andy

2. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

hi,
    From experiences with my mbp the fans are set 2 run at 2000rpm but they might as wel b off from the noise they make. One of the most quiet laptops i have ever used or seen.

Soz posted from N95

3. Sopranino macrumors 6502

Ditto with my PB G4 1GHz, the fans only come on when I've been pushing the graphics/cpu HARD during an edit session. (usually with a few processor intensive plugins going as well) Generally speaking my system will be running around 54-59 C when doing most work, the fans seem to kick in somewhere just over 62 C and ramp up if the temperature climbs. It will be really interesting to see what the new MBP does under the same conditions. I'll definitely be posting back when I've had a chance to do a full edit session with the new system.

Sopranino

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

In that case the fans on the MBP's are much more active, but that'll mostly be because the components used are much more powerful and generate more heat.

Running at 2000rpm, which tends to remain the fan speed during light/medium use of the machine for tasks that aren't CPU or GPU intensive, the notebook is as good as silent. They're good fans.

As load is placed on the machine the fans will speed right up to 6000rpm, though the notebook does tend to wait until sustained heavy load before it hits this maximum. The fans are considerably more audible running at this speed, but certainly not unusually so.

5. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Agreed. I've been shocked at how quiet the fans are when running ~ 2000rpm.