General Question About SSD's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iTsKemez, Nov 26, 2010.

1. iTsKemez macrumors newbie

I was wondering what are these SSD's people buy to add on their macbooks?
    How do you install them? And would they work for a new 2010 macbook pro?
    I was looking at this one: OCZ Vertex 2, 120GB SSD
    Thanks in advance !

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1000342
    Yes
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=OCZ Vertex 2+site:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

Before you start new threads, it's a good idea to search the forum with MRoogle first, since most subjects have been discussed many times and there are usually many threads containing answers to your questions.

3. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

They are SOLID STATE DRIVES (SSD). They have no moving parts, so they are generally thought of as more reliable. They are flash based, similar to memory in a way.

Yes they will fit in your macbook pro as long as you get a 2.5" one and not a 3.5" one (desktop size). They are easy to install... you remove the old HDD and put the SSD in it's place. Some come with kits that allow you to then put the old HDD into an external enclosure and use it as a portable USB drive.

The vertex 2 is probably in the top 3 best for 120GB size. The GSkill phoenix pro, ocz vertex 2, and OWC mercury pro are probably the top 3 120gb out there... they are also all almost identical.

I would rank them 1. OWC 2. OCZ 3. GSkill.

They are significantly faster than a standard HDD, with a couple drawbacks. They are limited to a certain amount of read/write cycles before they die... also they give no warning before death. So BACK UP OFTEN. They seem to be slightly temperamental during installation, but they are AMAZING when you get them up on rocking.

I'm about to put a 120GB SSD from OWC into my macbook pro. Also optibay'in a 750GB HDD in place of my optical drive.

4. iTsKemez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot Millerb7, do you know on how long their lifespan is usually?

5. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Well under normal use they are suppose to last a LONG time... the OWC I'm getting is rated at like 10,000,000 hours... the vertex 2 you are looking at is rated at 2,000,000 hours.

Again though, the biggest downfall are those windows folks who defrag the drive, as that read/writes like crazy and normally ends up screwing them up.... you do not need to defrag them.

I wouldn't be worried about the lifespan... you may need to secure delete if you start getting a big speed drop down the road or something, but nothing major. That OCZ is a good SSD.

It's got the sandforce controller. They are TRIM capable, but OSX does not support TRIM yet, maybe in Lion... we shall see.