General Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by robduckett14, Feb 20, 2016.

1. robduckett14 macrumors newbie

Would having a Macbook Air (2015) that is fully upgraded meaning having a
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8gb of ram & 512HDD, would that cause the fan to run any differently than it would on a base model? It is the 13 inch model

I apologize if this is in the wrong place or already answered.

2. ApfelKuchen, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The fan is going to run based on how you use the computer. Since you can attempt the same tasks on an MBA regardless of the configuration, each configuration may generate a different amount of heat when doing the same task.

Overall, increased clock speeds are going to generate more "spot" heat - The same work, done in less time, may generate a higher peak temperature. The peak temperature may cause the fan to kick in. The same work done on a slower machine generates its heat over a longer period - passive cooling may be enough to dissipate that heat.

But that's just a gross generalization. The important thing is not whether the fan works harder in one configuration or another, but that your computer does the work you wish, in the time you wish.

I think it's shortsighted to worry about the life of a fan, or for that matter, the heat generated. If you want it to run cool and last forever, then don't turn it on. It's a tool, meant to be used, and tools will wear out. If I see a pristine tool, it means that it's never had serious use. If you work it hard, expect that it won't last as long.

Trust that Apple has engineered the thing to be adequately cooled, regardless of the configuration. There are some who, to my mind, obsess over temperature - "Did Apple set the thermostat too high, will that lead to a meltdown?" It's simply not to Apple's benefit to allow their machines to generate excessive/out-of-spec heat - they sell 3-year AppleCare policies that would obligate them to repair/replace those machines. If systems work as they're designed, the machine will shut down altogether if it gets too hot. I rarely hear of that happening, since most computing work is intermittent in nature. But if you plan on transcoding video 24/7, then expect to hear a lot from the fan - you're asking a lot of the computer.

And let me add that Apple has extensive support resources that address these points. Start with this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201640 You should find this section of the support website to be useful: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair/batteries_power/