Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakkowarner epi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2011
What cable do I need to plug my external monitor to a new iMac? I assume it will be through thunderbolt. Do I need additional software?

What iPod was offered last May to students. And should I wait for it again? If it is just the ipod shuffle, I'll pass. If it is something better than maybe I'll wait.

Is there a free (general) bench mark program out there that I can use to compare a couple of different macintosh computers (for my own amusement and maybe to reference in a future review).

Is it relatively easy to replace the harddrive and ram at a later date, by yourself? I've done it for years on a pc but that is also a big case with plenty of room.

Does discover really offer 5% cash back on a new iMac?

Should I buy it from the store or buy it online (store is 20 miles away.)

Should I be sad that sandy bridge isn't in it?

How long until we see the unicorn tracker standard on the iMac's?

And what other noobish/ignorant questions did I miss?

thx,

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What cable do I need to plug my external monitor to a new iMac? I assume it will be through thunderbolt. Do I need additional software?

Any Mini DisplayPort adapter will work. No additional software or drivers is required.

What iPod was offered last May to students. And should I wait for it again? If it is just the ipod shuffle, I'll pass. If it is something better than maybe I'll wait.

You can choose. IIRC, you can get any iPod with the base capacity but the Classic for free (you still get a discount but you have to pay some $). The low-end iTouch is the most popular due to its high value.

Is there a free (general) bench mark program out there that I can use to compare a couple of different macintosh computers (for my own amusement and maybe to reference in a future review).

GeekBench and CineBench.

Is it relatively easy to replace the harddrive and ram at a later date, by yourself? I've done it for years on a pc but that is also a big case with plenty of room.

RAM, yes. HD, not so much, since you have to remove the LCD to get into the iMac.

Should I buy it from the store or buy it online (store is 20 miles away.)

Depends do you want a BTO or a stock configuration.

Should I be sad that sandy bridge isn't in it?

It is.

How long until we see the unicorn tracker standard on the iMac's?

Ummhh, what? :confused:

yakkowarner epi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2011
I just plan on adding ram and get the highest i7 processor. Nothing special, no SSD.

The only thing I'm pondering is getting the higher end garageband, and/or picture editor, and/or movie editor. But those can be added at any time.

-Alan

yakkowarner epi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Do they normally offer the ipod offer for students in addition to the student discount of around $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.