Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
No worries, thanks for the help anyways.

Im gonna have to look into that cpu whine and figure out how to get rid of that, in the library in the quiet part the laptop is plugged in and its driving me nuts. I know now its probably worse than before just cause i know its there and im making it a lot louder in my head than it actually is

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
No worries, thanks for the help anyways.

Im gonna have to look into that cpu whine and figure out how to get rid of that, in the library in the quiet part the laptop is plugged in and its driving me nuts. I know now its probably worse than before just cause i know its there and im making it a lot louder in my head than it actually is

Is it possible your hearing your hard drive? It could be ready to kick the bucket! My dell was making a "whine" before the hard drive died...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I was told personally by an Apple genius that "Anytime your computer is plugged in you are putting wear/doing damage to the battery"..
10 people are probably gonna tell you im wrong but an Apple genius told me this so i am going to run mine on battery power as much as possible.

I was also personally told that upgrading the RAM on my computer would void my warranty :rolleyes:

My opinion on the types of Geniuses?
  • Cocky and stuck up—plain asshattery—assumes he/she knows all and the customer is an idiot.
  • Knowledgeable and not helpful.
  • Willing, but not so knowledgeable.
  • Just not knowledge nor helpful.

Sorry if this offends any Geniuses here, but those are 4 types I've encountered.

And the one you spoke is probably #1 or #3.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I was also personally told that upgrading the RAM on my computer would void my warranty :rolleyes:

My opinion on the types of Geniuses?
  • Cocky and stuck up—plain asshattery—assumes he/she knows all and the customer is an idiot.
  • Knowledgeable and not helpful.
  • Willing, but not so knowledgeable.
  • Just not knowledge nor helpful.

Sorry if this offends any Geniuses here, but those are 4 types I've encountered.

And the one you spoke is probably #1 or #3.

I know what ya mean! I kinda feel that way myself.. They think they are "above" everyone else

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Is it possible your hearing your hard drive? It could be ready to kick the bucket! My dell was making a "whine" before the hard drive died...

nah i dont think its my hard drive, because the whine stops if i scroll through a page lets say. or as soon as the macbook starts doing some kind of work ie. loading something..

its the cpu whine apparantly that happens at idle, in the top left corner by the ESC key

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
nah i dont think its my hard drive, because the whine stops if i scroll through a page lets say. or as soon as the macbook starts doing some kind of work ie. loading something..

its the cpu whine apparantly that happens at idle, in the top left corner by the ESC key

hhmmm... I dont know man! I dont even know how or IF you could fix something like that!?
Sorry i cant be of more help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.