General questions about MacBook from web-developer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by explorerby, Feb 28, 2008.

1. explorerby macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I want to buy MacBook in few weeks.
    To tell the truth, mac is quite expensive in my country (it starts from 1,700$).
    So, I have some questions about it:

1) I'm web-developer. So, I need Apache, MySQL, MS SQL, PHP and so on. Can I install it on Mac OS?
    2) I use RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) for my work. So, will I able to do it via mac?
    3) I want Internet via my phone when I'm in cafe, for example. Of course, I want to use GPRS. Can I do it? (I know about Wi-Fi but there are few of hot-spots here).
    4) As I said, I'm web developer and sometimes, of course, I want to start Windows XP via vmware (or smth like that, I don't know how it called in Mac). So, is MB061 good for it? Will I feel some "lags"? I know, it's hard to answer at that question.. but try please who did what I've said.
    5) On the whole, do you suggest to buy mac?.. Smile

Thanks a lot! If I have some questions, I'll ask... Thank you!

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I used to use those programs/applications. They won't run smoothly on a MacBook, you're better on with a MacBook Pro. They may run if you max out the RAM and HD on a MB though. The base model won't work very well.

3. explorerby thread starter macrumors newbie

But MacBook Pro costs ~2,500 here... I can't buy it.
    If I have Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz / 1 Gb RAM, it won't be enough? :eek:

4. explorerby thread starter macrumors newbie

Besides it, can you say how you install MS SQL database on Mac OS?..

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

That question requires more detail than I can go into. But, this site may assist you.

http://py-mssql.darwinports.com

I have never installed that on a Mac, only used it on PCs.

6. explorerby thread starter macrumors newbie

What about other questions? Can you answer? I see, people aren't interested in that topic... whereas I'm very interested :rolleyes:

7. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

a MacBook will be mighty fine I reckon! I think only the screen resolution will be the issue, but it'll be fine for webdev!

8. Denali9 macrumors member

You may need to install XP through bootcamp or Parrallels/Vmware. Contrary to what's mentionned, I do believe the macbook will do a very good job. But if you go through virtualization to run your tools, you may want to consider upgrading ram to 4gb through third party, Apple ram upgrade is way too expensive.

You may want to try web development tool on OS X, you could do a search to find and try them. Worse come to worse by having XP or Vista installed, you will be able to run everything and with the recent bump the macbook are great machine.

9. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

1) Mac OSX is based on BSD... all of that software is pre-installed on the MAC
    2) Yes. There is a MAC version of Microsofts RDP also installed
    3) dunno
    4) I run PARALLELS on my MAC... and Windows XP is FASTER than my PC
    5) YES.... I bought a MacPro last June, and a MBP yesterday [switched from Windows after 25 years, and havent regreted it for a second]

And a MBP would be better than a MB...... 13" is kinda tiny to do any real work on... Plus the MBP is faster, more memory, bigger HD, can more easily drive an external screen, has more USB/FW ports, has a tougher case [not plastic]... and the price just DROPPED big time in the Refurb store

10. explorerby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for you answers.
    I'm asking only about MacBook, not MacBook Pro. As I've already said, I can't permit myself :( to buy it for such big price. I can buy just macbook mb061 for the lowest price as we have.

So... Some questions appeared.

What about MS Office? Or it has like OpenOffice in Linux?
    Total Commander?
    The Bat?
    Can Skype show video-calls?

And I didn't hear the answer on question about GPRS. Is it possible? For example, I have Nokia 6300 (with BT). Can I connect via BT to Mac and made mobile phone as modem?..

Thanks a lot for your help!..
    10 minutes ago I dropped in shop where mac stays in glass case :)
    Damn, they're so beautiful!..

11. Melan macrumors regular

It has both MS office and openoffice.
    don't know what total commander and the bat are, if they're games the answer is probably no.
    Skype can, yah.

12. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

If "Total Commander" is the product by "Mofi" from the UltraEdit forum, then yes, but only under VM/Parallels

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It certainly works with my 6230i. This website may be helpful for you to set it up.

You certainly don't need a MacBook Pro for any of the programs you are trying to run, 2-4GB RAM will be helpful. If you want to run Vista/XP in VMWare/Parallels then 4GB RAM is very useful. You should get third party RAM as Apple's is very expensive.

14. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

I have just better than base model and everything ran great.

The only thing annoying about web developing on a Macbook is the 13" screen.

15. explorerby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I want to buy it more and more.. May be, if it will be so nice and good, I'll buy MBP... ;)

Total Commander is file-manager. It's very good for FTP and just to see what you have at your HDD. I think (and hope), Mac OS have analogs of it.

The Bat is mail program. I don't link Outlook :eek:

What about file-managers? Smth as TotalCommander? By the way, it looks: http://www.xxs.ru/pic/7.jpg (but it can be wider, of course)

Thanks for answer about GPRS. It's big PLUS to my decision to buy Mac.

I think to start from macBook with 1Gb. And then may be increase it to 2Gb (i have it now).

16. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Third party RAM is fairly cheap (although I don't know about the shipping situation where you are) but if you can get 4GB of RAM in there your MacBook will fly with whatever you throw at it, unless it's something that requires a dedicated graphics card. That's the only place you'll really notice a major difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Anything graphics-intensive, you'll want to shell out for the MBP, hard as that may be, but otherwise the power of a MB (especially with additional RAM--1 GB won't really be enough for Windows to run too smoothly) should suffice.

17. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I know there are some good FTP clients for OS X, but I don't use it. Search the "Applications" subforum to find some.

Your Mac will come with Apple's Mail program, which I personally much prefer to Outlook (which I don't like either). You can also get Thunderbird for free from Mozilla, which is a very good mail program. I don't know anything about Bat, though.

You can get MS Office for Mac if you absolutely need it. You can also get iWork, which is much superior in ease-of-use IMO, and Pages and Keynote are better than Word and PowerPoint, but Numbers lags behind Excel a little. You can export to MS Office formats. In the free, open-source realm, you can get OpenOffice.org for Mac, but it's kind of ugly. You'll want NeoOffice, which is an OpenOffice.org port for OS X that runs more natively on a Mac.

Also, the XCode Developer Tools are included free on your OS X install DVD. Check that out on Apple's website to see what you can do with them. XCode may not be for you, but it's a very powerful IDE used by Apple's own developers.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Numbers isn't great for real spreadsheets or A Level coursework, but for simple spreadsheets (i.e. holiday plans) its great.

19. explorerby thread starter macrumors newbie

kuwisdelu
    Tell, please, what type of RAM Mac has? I'll try to look it in my native shops :apple:

kuwisdelu
    You know, the main comfort thing of Total Commander is that I can work with my file system and at the same time I can connect to FTP and upload smth... or download, of course. Besides it, there are a lot of other good things (it shows images, do zipping, compare files, a lot of language, work with lan e.t.c.). And of course, a lot of plugins which you can connect to TK.
    As well as in Windows, you can find the same apps in Linux. It's Krusader, well-known MC and so on. As for me, it's the best way to access directory or file quickly :rolleyes:
    I'm sure, Mac has smth similar.

What about Mail. It's not principle for me. Thunderbird or The Bat. Both of them are good ;)

Eraserhead
    Spreadsheets will be enough for me ;) Thx!

===

By the way, may be you can say prices of Macs at your country? Please, say country and price!

MacBook 13" White 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/1GB/80/Combo/AP/BT
    How much?..

20. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Nonsense. Apache MySQL and php works well on much lower specced machines.

21. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm currently doing web development on a CD Macbook and it works just fine. You'll be getting a C2D Macbook, so it will perform even better. Of course a Macbook Pro is faster and bigger, but if you can't afford it then don't worry about it. The Macbook is more than adequate for what you need.
    As far as buying 3rd part RAM goes, if you're not a RAM expert (and who is?) then go to www.crucial.com and use their RAM finder. It asks you what type of machine you have and tells you the sort of RAM you need based on that. Even if you don't want to purchase from Crucial you can take the info they give you and use it elsewhere.
    Yes, you can do video messaging through Skype, although in my opinion the picture quality is better if you use iChat.

Удачи!

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

See [guide]Buying RAM[/guide], [guide]Understanding Intel Mac RAM[/guide]