General questions about the newer iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xhArRiSoNxD, Sep 22, 2010.

1. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

I was wondering, since the new iPod touch has FaceTime, does the WiFi on the new iPod touch always stay on when in sleep?

If not, why bother with the vibration feature. If it’s in your pocket, which most people have it in sleep mode in their pocket anyway. Receiving a Facetime request wouldn’t matter right? You wouldn't be connected to the internet and not receive the push notification.

I just have been really thinking about this a lot since the new iPod has vibration. This is such a great idea! I just really wish that you could set it up for apps. From what I read in other posts the vibrate only works for FaceTime requests, correct?

Anyway, I come from an iPod touch 1G and noticed a lot of the mechanics of how it works with Wi-Fi. When it's in sleep it seems to check every hour for a push notification on the server. And when I say push notifications I mean messages from Beejive IM or something of that sort not email messages.

Please feel free to comment and tell me you how this would work. I am really interested to know before I actually get the 4G. (Not that it's a deciding factor or something)

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The new touch doesn't have vibration.

But, yes the WiFi stays on while "asleep". So all your push notifications will come through whether asleep or awake and being used. When a FaceTime call comes in while the touch is asleep it wakes up, plays the ring sound for the FaceTime call and lets you answer it.

3. xhArRiSoNxD thread starter macrumors regular

Lol. Well now, I guess that makes sence.

Edit:
    I remember reading this post here about their being vibration. I also remembered seeing it, or something on the Apple website.

I really did put a lot of thought in that too..

I just found this post here that talks about how they were wrong. I was still under the impression that their was.

Guess I'll have to wait until next year for this.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yeah, there was some buzz about it having it, but I believe it was iFixit that did a teardown of the new touch, and there was no vibration hardware onboard.

5. Code.Red macrumors regular

Yup, there was talk about vibration because Apple had one line that said the iPod touch would vibrate when it received a FaceTime call. They eventually removed the line as it was erroneous, but it caused for lots and lots of speculation.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Yea, Apple had to leave something for the next Touch version, so haptic feedback is one of those things. It is also likely that they've tested it and found that when vibrating it screws up the 3-axis G-sensor. :eek: