General questions on iPad2 - 3g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FAsnakes, Jun 14, 2011.

1. FAsnakes macrumors regular

I just picked up a an iPad 2 wifi.. And let just say, it's everything I wanted and more.. A perfect addition to my Air.

What I'm wondering is should I consider the 3G model (as I'm within the store return policy).

More specifically:
    - Does the 3G version have GPS?
    -- if so, can I use Maps to plot destinations and get directions on the go without activating 3G service?

- Provided I have location services on, will the - find my iPhone / iPad app work (even if it's not connected to Wifi or activating the 3G service)?

- Is activating the 3G service month to month without a contract?
    - - what's the monthly cost?
    - Are there any other fringe benefits to the 3G equipped iPads?

Thanks!

2. genexrocket macrumors regular

Yes, only the 3G version has real GPS and you are not on a contract with the 3G service. You just pay for the 3G service month to month, whenever you want to use it.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Yes it has 3G. No you can't use the included Maps app to look up directions on the go without Internet, since the maps need to be downloaded on the fly. However, you CAN choose from a few 3rd party apps that either come with preloaded maps or allow you to download them beforehand, so you can use GPS without a data plan.

I'm not sure about this, but I would guess not, since it would need Internet to transmit your location to you, even if it knew where it was via GPS.

Yes. Depends on how big of a data plan you buy. 3 GB is $35 on Verizon. I don't remember the others off hand.

Pretty much just the GPS. Maybe a higher resale value if you're into that thing.

4. FAsnakes thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys,
    Tough decision.. Given it's just another $130.. Small price to pay, but wondering if I should just apply that to the 32 gig version.

Part of the challenge is - IMO the iPad 2 is reasonably priced @ $500 bucks..

But once you start to step away from that # - value for price, feels 'out of whack'..

Guess that's everyone's dilema!

5. deeddawg macrumors 603

AT&T give you choice of 200M for 30 days (whichever comes first) at $15, or 2G for 30 days (whichever comes first) at $25. This is month by month with auto-renew (you can turn off), no contract. Allows you to leave data off until you need it, then buy a block when you do need it.

There is a post-paid version as well, but I'm not familiar with it other than it isn't contract based.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Yes, if you travel abroad you can purchase a local SIM to get 3G service (and even use Skype).