General questions on Verizon iPhone and Internet Connectivity

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 07041776, Apr 12, 2011.

1. 07041776 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm a little bit of a noob on the varying differences between GSM and CDMA cell phone technologies (which is sad because I used to work for a small regional cell carrier! Just not in netops...), so I wanted to ask a few questions here to clear up some potential misunderstanding on the Verizon iPhone.

I've heard that the iPhone 4 on Verizon can't exchange data at the same time as it's got a voice conversation going on. However, I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the phone, CDMA itself, or the implementation thereof on Verizon's end.

So I'm curious: is it possible that the iPhone 5 will be able to exchange data and voice at the same time (given it's in a valid service area)? Of course I know there are no guarantees, given that it hasn't been released yet, but we all know it'll be released this summer.

Also, some other, somewhat unrelated questions:
    - Is the most recent Google Voice app for the iPhone any good? I'm personally using an Android phone now, and love the ability to directly dial as normal, but force it to go through Google Voice instead of through my actual cell number; can the GV iPhone app do that?
    - Right now on T-Mobile (GSM) I'm able to get HSPA connections on my G2 that are pretty darn good for a cell phone. Is there an equivalent on Verizon (is it still, technically, HSPA technology, or something else?), if so, how prevalent is it in general in the continental US, and what, if anything, will be the "next big thing" with respect to mobile internet speeds? What's it called, and how fast is it, generally?

The reason I ask these questions here on this forum, and not at a Verizon store, is because I generally find that most sales associates, with a few exceptions, have less intelligence than your average strand of pubic hair. You guys - on this forum - are almost always much better educated, and have nothing to gain by selling me on something, and therefore aren't nearly as likely to lie to me in order to get a sale.

Thanks for any information you can provide - it's appreciated!

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

It's a limitation of CDMA unless they use a SVDO chip which has separate radio's essentially for data/voice so they can work at the same time. The iPhone will not be using this chip. The iPhone 5 will be using the same chip the iPhone 4 (Verizon) has which is a dual GSM/CDMA chip.

It wont support concurrent voice/data until the LTE iPhone which is expected in their following release (unless they surprise us with the next announcement). LTE is the next high speed technology, which Verizon is already rolling out and is active in some markets. That will be where we see dual voice/data and "4G" (even though none of these are really 4G).

d.