General questions regarding the 23" Cinema Display HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tuareg, Feb 10, 2010.

1. tuareg macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I'm considering the discontinued 23-inch Cinema Display HD as my next monitor. I have some questions regarding it that will aid me in the buying process.

1) Were there any changes applied to the design of the Cinema Display 20"/23" screens over the time they were produced? Or their design was the same from the first production to the discontinuation? Were there different versions of those screens (the aluminum Cinema Display HD, NOT the older Cinema Displays) featuring different design?

I'm asking this because of these two pictures below, showing obviously an Apple Cinema Display HD monitor (20" or 23", I presume) that appears to be entirely in white (instead of a silver frame and back, and only sides in white). And clearly it's not an iMac.

It's confusing. Maybe it's because of the flash, settings, or lighting in the photo, because it's the only photo ever to show such a monitor; from what I've seen, that is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) As said, I'm highly interested in purchasing the discontinued Apple Cinema Display HD 23" monitor. The current 24" model is in my opinion aesthetically inferior, and its gloss is repulsive. The 30" version is just too large.
    The 23" is a spot-on. It's a design perfection. I personally think that it's the best looking monitor ever produced. And looks are the top priority in the purchase.
    Anyway, is my decision wise? rational? Or is it a waste of money?
    Is the monitor considered dated in today's terms?
    I don't work with art or graphics, I don't game competitively or professionally, and I don't watch movies or TV on my PC. I'll use the monitor for common office work and some gaming. For my uses, will buying this monitor be a mistake?

3) If i'll indeed buy the 23" monitor, how can I assure that I'm getting the most recent model before the production ceased? (I am obviously interested in the "youngest" monitor I could get)
    I should probably use the model/part-number/code system, but it's confusing: sometimes, the 23" is reffered to as "A1082", and sometimes - "M9178LL/A". What's the correct code for the monitor I want?
    Is there a ceratin code/model for a 23" monitors that are known to be better than others? If so I should probably look for that.

4) What's the best way to get the old 23" Cinema Display HD screen? And where? (preferably US stores that make international shipments, but also regular US stores, and even European stores. Second-hand is also an option)

5) Does anyone know of any intentions from Apple to discontinue the current 30" CD HD monitor?

6) Why were the 20" and 23" CD HD models got discontinued? I thought they were succesful enough, and it's strange that the 30" version retains the old design while the other simply went off the production line.

7) Were there any reasons for the dramatic design change applied to the 24" LED monitor? Couldn't they keep the old 23" CD HD design and update it with current technology and enlrage its size to 24"?

Thanks in advance!

Kindest regards,

tuareg

2. nutritious macrumors 6502

jesus christ...I suppose you want to find out which chinese factory worker assembled the 23" ACD you wanna buy, too?

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 23" cinema display. It's a great monitor with an IPS panel and standard gamut....you can probably find them on craigslist used for a decent price...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Congratulations for posting questions that are easily answered already right here on MR.

However, to summarize for you:
    1) The aluminum ACDs were always silver aluminum. The variation has to do with lighting.
    2) It is not the best buy today. It is a stellar panel that can be found in the Dell panel but if aesthetics are your game then ACD is the name. You are paying a premium for a very good display that lacks some fairly important ports (important to many not to me personally).
    3) I have included a picture that I found at http://en.wikipedia.org/ to help you figure out what model you intend to buy and when it was manufactured. I hope it helps.
    4) Today I would go local to craigslist.org to find a used ACD or here at MR but you don't qualify for the marketplace so see the latter.
    5) I am not aware of Apple's intentions.
    6) "Why were the 20" and 23" CD HD models got discontinued?" Well that is because they replaced it with what they feel was an adequate replacement, the 24". They made it LED (greener) and glossy (pretty to some).
    7) What were the reasons for the dramatic design? See answer #5 but also note that the current LED ACD does actually match their current design scheme.
    Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 3.32.22 PM.png

4. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

the side panels are plastic and white not aluminium...this isnt always obvious on the images

5. tuareg thread starter macrumors newbie

I am truly sorry for the bump.

I have been away from my PC for some time and I must ask one more question:

For the Apple Cinema Display HD 23", Is the 'A1082' model equal to the model M9178LL/A? Is it always the same monitor?

If so, did the A1082/M9178LL/A series had different revisions or internal updates (applied to the monitor by Apple during the product's production cycle, which lasted about 4 years and a half) I should be aware of?

Is the first Apple Cinema Display HD 23" monitor produced similar to the very last ACDHD 23" monitor produced? (From all aspects - physical appearance, external, interface, and internal/technical)

* If all of the A1082 23" monitors were the same from production's start to end, then I could just go and grab any monitor without worries as long as it is a A1082.

Again, I am very sorry for the mess.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    tuareg

6. OddHead macrumors member

Apple updated the ACD line in fall 2006. Take a look at this, click "Expand All Details". Too bad there isn't an official specification page, Apple lists only 2004 ones.

BUT try here. Great. Good old black "pro" webpages.

7. tuareg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. This is the exact kind of information I've been looking for.

What was change in the 23" ACD in the fall 2006 update?

Was the fall 2006 update the only and last one?

And: Are 23" ACD monitors labeled A1082 exactly the same as ones labeled M9178LL/A?

8. tuareg thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for bumping again, this is my final question and I don't want to open another thread exclusively for that. Thanks in advance and sorry again.

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

First of all, there is no reason to excuse. Forums are made for asking. :rolleyes:

They only changed the panel (more brightness, more contrast etc.). Everything else remained exactly the same.
    And yes, it was the only and last update of that display.

Unfortunately I've got no answer on this one.

10. tuareg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Transporteur!

How can I verify that I'm getting a fall 2006 updated monitor?