General Router Broadband Question

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I've got an old Apple Airport Extreme -- probably more than 10 years. In the past few years, I notice that my signal drops when I'm in parts of my apartment that used to have fine coverage -- no more than 20 feet away, sometimes with a wall (drywall, not contract) in between.

Would this be a problem with the strength of the router? I.e., should I get a new router or an extender?
Or a problem with the broadband signal -- should I upgrade my service from 50 mbs to something higher.

When I'm near the router I have no problems streaming Netflix or other content.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Increasing your service bandwidth isn't going to solve that issue. You're probably right that the 10 year old AirPort Extreme is probably wearing out. Might be time to get a new wifi router. New ones will have wireless AC which will give you much better coverage than the wireless N AirPort you have now.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
It's time to look for a replacement.

Have you considered one of the numerous "mesh" systems now on the market?
The best are the "tri-band" systems such as the Linksys Velop and Netgear Orbi.

I've been using a 2-node Velop system for a while now, nice upgrade from my old "flat" Airport Extreme (which I keep around as "a backup")...

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
i looked into the mesh systems, but I'm in a 1,000 sq ft apartment. It seems like unnecessary expense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.