Generate RSS with HTML Form?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Derwood, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Derwood macrumors regular

Hi MacRumors Forum Folk,

I work as a Learning Technologist in Higher Education and am looking to roll out RSS on a number of our programmes.

What I want is for the Programme Admins to be able to navigate to a page, fill in a form, and have that update the .XML file on the server, and to avoid them having to get their hands dirty with the markup.

Basically, I'm canvassing opinion on what would be the best combination of technologies to achieve this.

As always, any help much appreciated.

Derwood

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Myself and a buddy are grad students charged with redesigning our department's website. I recently implemented an RSS feed similar to what you are doing. Here is how I did it.

I made an news submission form.
    Those values are then placed into a mysql database.
    I then wrote a php file that queries the database and dynamically generates the rss based on what is in the database. That way it is always current.

3. Derwood thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...

Thanks for the reply Gibbs. I had a hunch it would mean getting involved with some kind of MySQL/PHP combination.

I'll investigate further. Any pointers towards useful code snippets/tutorials much appreciated.

Best,

Derwood

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I would guess that some of the big CMS programs out there can help you create RSS automatically. I don't know for sure, but check out Joomla and Drupal.