Generating passwords with Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paieye, Nov 14, 2016.

1. paieye macrumors regular

I use Chrome (64-bit) on this MacBook Air instead of Safari, solely because my sight is not as good as it was, and Chrome offers a menu-bar with white characters on a black background, which Safari does not.

I want to use either Keychain or Chrome (I have installed the password-generator extension) to generate passwords, but cannot at present get either to work properly.

Can some kind soul tell me in the very simplest terms how to do this, imagining that I am at the 'Register' page of a website to which I want access.

2. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

The answer is given here: http://www.howtogeek.com/231237/how...rd-manager-to-sync-your-passwords-everywhere/.

To test this:

1. I untruthfully told one of the websites to which I have registered access that I had forgotten my password.

2. When the email-message arrived telling me to go back to login and attempt it with a new password, I clicked the link in the email-message.

3. That took me to a web-page asking me to enter my new password.

4. The Google Password-generator's symbol is a brass padlock. I found it in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and clicked it.

5. That opened a small window offering to generate a password, and giving a choice of Memorable, Random. &c. and a choice of length.

6. I made my choice, clicked 'Generate,' and a new password appeared in the field below.

7. I copied-and-pasted the new password into the fields for 'New Password' and 'Confirm New Password,' and pressed Enter.

8. That opened a small window asking if I wanted Google to remember the new password, and I made my choice.

Success !

3. chscag macrumors 68000

What happened to your "famous" formula for generating passwords? Given up on it already? :rolleyes:

4. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

I know when I am beaten.

5. chscag macrumors 68000

LOL, great answer. See you again on our other Forums. You're always welcome over there. :)

6. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for that, these forums have helped me a great deal, and I shall be back !