Generic AC adaptor causing touchpad problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 262Runnr, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

I purchased a second generic AC adaptor on Ebay so I wouldn't have to keep moving my Apple adaptor from room to room. I noticed that my touchpad was acting erratic. After a couple of weeks of this behavior, I decided to ditch the generic adaptor, which I was using frequently, and only use the Apple AC adaptor.
    My problems with the erratic touchpad seemed to have disappeared...and hopefully will stay gone :). Could the generic adaptor really have been the issue and caused the erratic touchpad problems?

2. RiseDarthVader macrumors member

You should never cheap out on the power supply. As a weak or poorly made PSU can kill the rest of the components in a computer.

3. Binomio macrumors member

It is electrical interference, I had a third party ac adapter and it did the same thing with my trackpad and my tv nearby.

4. Ploki macrumors 68020

power supply = important.
    unfortunately chinese knock-offs don't cut it.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Check if it's grounded. Using an ungrounded adapter (including the short plug with Apple's own PSU) can cause trackpad issues.

6. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

I'm using the Apple short plug and it seems to be working fine. I stopped using the generic and haven't had any issues since then.

7. randynlisa macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 12, 2017 ---
    So I tried a test. I have a none apple power adapter and tried it on two Mac airs. one is a 2014 and one is a 2015. they both started acting crazy the minute I plugged it in using this power supply. The minute I went back to the apple it stop. then I tried changing the sort plug one with the long plug on the none apple and got the same results. then I just wrapped my hand around the connector and wire where it plugs into the MacBook and it mostly stoped jumping around. so it is interference from the wire which leads me to thin that the wire does not have enough shielding.

That is crazy. so as someone else said just spring for the good stuff.