generic blog question

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by benmrii, Nov 12, 2008.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm thinking this may be the best place to post this, and I would appreciate any input that you might have.

My business is looking to do a very generic blog that is open to anyone posting. However, their posts need to be true blog posts, not comments. I don't care if it costs money, is free, or how pretty it is, but I do need two things:

(1) open to anyone to post... if you know the address you can go there and create a blog entry
    (2) all posts need to be approved prior to going live/being distributed

Most of what I've found in my research of this have led me to believe that (1) is only possible in limited amounts (Google's limit is 100) and requires you to create an account prior to posting. (2) seems to be a lost hope, but given the nature of the blog and the possible spam and adult content it is a must.

Any ideas? I really appreciate any input you can give. Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

My initial thoughts are that your research has led you in the right direction and conclusions. Letting anyone without an account to post blog entries will cause a bit of a mess with a potential of inappropriate posts being made the most, which definitely means someone would need to moderate them, otherwise it would turn into a spam haven.

This, to me, seems an odd thing for a business to do. Can you elaborate on what the business is hoping to accomplish by having this feature available? Knowing this could give us some ideas on alternative solutions to a blog type interface. So what might these visitors be blogging about and why would they blog it at this business site?

3. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

angelwatt - think of it without the word business there. I know exactly what he/she is attempting to do - and it'd probably work.

4. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

Thanks. I'm looking closer at WordPress now.

It's for a church that I do some communications work for. At this point I'm near determining that the best course of action would be for people to "post" to the blog by emailing a unique monitored address which would then be posted to the blog by the main user. That would include the qualities of a blog that they are looking for while taking away the hassle of pr0n distribution bots. :)

Appreciate your time, all.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt