Generic Car Chargers for 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by fsumac23, Oct 28, 2009.

1. fsumac23 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if using a generic car charger like the ones on ebay will be safe for the iphone 3gs? I know there have been a few posts about not using the 3g cables for the 3gs cuz it has caused some problems for some people. I dont know if I should be worried about car chargers as well. If you dont recommend, whats the best I can get thats cheap?

2. kimguroo macrumors member

After I read your post, I searched some information.
    Actually, I bought ebay generic car charger (thanks god! I read your post first) but I will not use it when it arrives.
    I think Iphone can accept output of 5v and 1amp but the generic charger output is 5.5v or higher so the charger might fry your iphone. I am not expert on any electronic so I also need some help on this.

3. omerbaker macrumors member

I bought a generic one from eBay and it did NOT work. The basic USB type charger is 5v across the outside terminals, but the iPhone also needs about 1.5v across the inside terminals. I tried to dummy that additional voltage with short lasting success. It initially worked but stopped soon after. I ended up buying a griffen charger. You can buy directly from them at a very fair price and you can search the forums here to find a 10 or 20% off code. Good luck