Generic Computer Voice keeps telling me my location!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sanjuanview, Aug 25, 2008.

1. sanjuanview macrumors newbie

I have had my Macbook Pro for many months and suddenly I've got a computer voice telling me my location many times/day. It's says the words "Victoria, British Columbia, Canada." I have gone to every System Preferences/Speech option that I can see and everything is turned off. Please help it's driving me crazy. It also reports when something is finished downloading. I could take that, but this constant reporting of my home location is so annoying!:mad:

THANKYOU so much for helping...

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Did you go to System Preferences / Universal Access and turned Voice Over off?

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

AHHHHHHHHH

Sorry, but that is incredibly freaky...

Have you installed any apps that use GPS (from a plugged in device) or the internet to locate where you are?

4. sanjuanview thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Bobioden

Yes, Voiceover is off at that location. I have run through every system preference option and nothing is on. I did install a backup program quite some time ago called Memeo Lifeagent that never worked. It used to "talk" to me, but hasn't for months...and it never announced my location. I can't uninstall it. I am suspicious that it might be the culprit but I can't figure out how to get rid of it. can't find a thing about it anywhere. Not sure if I'm barkign up the right alley, but maybe? Sure appreciate your note though.

5. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

What do you mean you "can't uninstall it"? Will AppDelete or Appzapper not work?

6. sanjuanview thread starter macrumors newbie

Freaky is right. I am just sitting there and suddenly Stephen Hawkings tells me where I live! (that's what the voice sounds like). It's just annoying because I don't expect it and if my volume had been turned up for any reason, it startles me right out of my chair.

I have a Garmin GPS that I upgraded a few months ago, but the "voice" didn't start until about two weeks ago.