Generic Data Doublers for Mac Mini 2012?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Jozone, May 2, 2018.

1. Jozone macrumors 6502

Hey Folks -

I've got 2 2012 Mac Mini's in my arsenal, one i7, and one i5. The i7 tends to get all the attention, and expensive upgrades (secondary drive added with SSD). For the i7 I bought the OWC branded hard drive flex cable, which has worked great for the last couple years. They still cost about $30 however, which is a bit steep for a flex cable.

Needless to say, I bought a $8 flex cable off of Amazon, which appears to be the exact same thing -- but am now doubting my purchase, and considering buying the $30 one. Has anyone used the cheaper generics without issue? My main concern would be data corruption -- but as this is a backup-backup, its nothing mission critical.

Thanks!

2. RyanXM macrumors regular

RyanXM

All the flex cables on Amazon and eBay all come from the same place as the Apple cable...I've used a them for years and have never had a failed cable.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

I got a kit for $14 bucks. Works GREAT. Sad that so much money has been spent in the past on these little cables. My kit came with disassembly tools, too.

4. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

If you already have the kit from the first time around, then you already have the tools and you don't need to buy another whole kit. You just need a cable, screws, and grommets.

The cable is probably fine, but did you also get screws and grommets with it? If not, you'll need to get those too.

5. Jozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup -- got all of the hardware. Installed yesterday with a Crucial MX100, and seems to be working as expected!