Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galacticcadet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
greater boston
Hi folks.
I'm looking for some help on a problem I have with my iBook.
I think I know the answer, but I thought I'd double check with folks who knew for sure before I went ahead and bought any parts that might turn out to be unuseable.
Here's the lowdown:

Last summer, I bought a three-year-old 500mhz G3 iBook from a friend of mine.
It was awesome (and even convinced me to also track down a G4 tower to replace my POS Windows machine), and ran wonderfully up until about a month ago -- I tried to run a software update, it irretreivably froze, I did a hard reboot, and it hasn't booted properly since.
It freezes forever on the spinning pinwheel startup, then eventually turns into a prohibitory sign.
When I put my ear to the lower left corner, I heard nada, and when I prodded the computer to tell me what was wrong, it revealed that it doesn't recognize my hard drive as a bootable volume -- hurrah.
Long story short, the Geniuses at the Apple Store confirmed my suspicions, and I'm going to need a new hard drive if I ever want to use this baby again.

At any rate, this brings me to my real question:
I'm going to do this myself.
This part doesn't worry me -- I've been taking apart and building PCs since I was a kid, so I'm expecting difficulty and annoyance, but not impossibility.
What I am confused about is parts.
I've been spoiled by years of home-built machines that will accept nearly any cheap generic part you throw at them.
Now...I'm not looking to throw cheap parts into my iBook, but I am a fourth-year university student.
I'm broke, and not only can I not afford spankin new parts straight from Apple, but I'm not sure I need them.
The iBook wasn't my primary computer (just my portable baby), so the 10gb drive that was in there before it died was more than adequate, and I'm fairly positive that any drive that small is discontinued now anyway.

So what I want to know is: will any ol' 2.5" ATA notebook drive work in an iBook, or will I end up with an apple fritter if I don't buy something proprietary?
Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive replacement drives that will work?
(High performance isn't an issue so much as whether or not it works.)

Also, while I've got the laptop open, I also want to throw in some more memory (the only thing that irked me about the laptop was that it had trouble playing videos in Panther, and it would've been nice to be able to use the DVD drive).
Any recommendations on the issue of what kind of memory these things can take?
How many RAM slots are inside, and much can be upgraded inside these things?

I could probably figure all of this out by opening the laptop up, but I'd really rather not do that until the real surgery date arrives, if possible, so I'd appreciate any advice and of you folks have on the matter.
Thanks again!

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Hey,
Any 'ole hard drive or memory (SO-DIMM, if its a G3 iBook, use PC133 SO DIMM) will work. The ibook only has 1 memory slot which is accessable under the keyboard (2 tabs around the F2 and F11 keys) and it has 128MB built in. (non upgradable).
The ibook can take any hard drive that is 2.5in or notebook hard drives. I upgraded my iBook G3's hard drive w/o any problems. It will take any notebook hard drive.
Upgrading the hard drive is a big task, took my around 40mins or so. Make sure you have the service manual for it (google it, srry, don't have the link with me)
If you want a speed boost, upgrade to the 7200rpm travelstar notebook HD (I bought mine from Dell, they had a sale) or get a 5400 RPM HD w/ 16MB Cache. The hard drive in it right now is very "low end" The one in mine was only 4200rpm and had a 2 or 1 MB Cache.. Cannot remember.

16MB Cache 5200 RPM HD: MK8026GAX (Toshiba)
Link: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-149-020&depa=0
7200 RPM 8MB Cache HD: HTS726060M9AT00 (Hitachi)
Link: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-146-020&depa=0

For the memory, I recommend getting it at OWC (other world computing). They have great customer service and Lifetime warranty on the memory chips.
Largest chip that you can get for your ibook:
512 PC133 SODIMM: OWC Brand (house brand)
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=3807&Item=OWC133SO512328L

Hope it helps :) -Paul

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
imac9556 said:
The ibook can take any hard drive that is 2.5in or notebook hard drives. I upgraded my iBook G3's hard drive w/o any problems. It will take any notebook hard drive.
Upgrading the hard drive is a big task, took my around 40mins or so. Make sure you have the service manual for it (google it, srry, don't have the link with me)
If you want a speed boost, upgrade to the 7200rpm travelstar notebook HD (I bought mine from Dell, they had a sale) or get a 5400 RPM HD w/ 16MB Cache. The hard drive in it right now is very "low end" The one in mine was only 4200rpm and had a 2 or 1 MB Cache.. Cannot remember.
Actually, not all 2.5mm HD's will work. You'll need one that is 9.5mm tall or less. Some of the older ones are 12.5mm tall and won't fit. Since this guy is looking for a cheap replacement, he should know this info.

Also, check out xlr8yourmac.com and click on drive compatibility chart. There's tons of people who have posted their experience on HD upgrades of multiple brands.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
imac9556 said:
Oh srry... I forgot about the height of the drive part :) Usually, aren't most drives 9.5mm or less?

Drive Chart Link for your iBook Click Me (Link)
True, most laptop drives these days are 9.5mm. I just wanted to let the original poster know that 12.5mm HDs won't work since he may be looking at getting one used (via eBay).

Also, I think the newest 100GB laptop drives are still at 12.5mm, but I could be wrong.

galacticcadet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
greater boston
Thanks for the help, everyone!
I'm a girl, by the way, but I'll take the honorary guy-status as a compliment. :)

As I mentioned, I'm on a serious budget -- school goes back in less than a week, and I need money for books, rent, etc -- which means I'm doing the bad thing and hitting ebay for these parts, as cheaply as possible, at least until I can afford to replace them (or the laptop) with better/newer (and return the crap to ebay, from whence it came).

It's kind of short notice, but if anyone's around, do these look like a go?

hard drive:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38119&item=6736599929&rd=1
or http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38119&item=6736694800&rd=1

memory:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80201&item=6736762464&rd=1 (looks proprietary to compaq?)
or http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80201&item=6737420482&rd=1

galacticcadet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
greater boston
Thanks!
I'm pretty confident with the actual installation process, it's just the parts I'm nervous about.
I'm new to the world of Apple tinkering, and have seen what can go badly when the wrong components are put into a picky computer.
I need a voice to come down from on high and say "No. That will not fry your machine, and it was not a waste of time and money."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.