Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toonshorty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I purchased a generic MIDI to USB adapter for my keyboard about 3 years ago and it only has Windows XP drivers however by installing generic Windows 7 drivers it worked fine.

I want to replace text keyboard typing with an actual keyboard and I guess I'll just need to midi-fy my current keyboard for that to work right?

Does anyone know where I'll find generic MIDI to USB drivers for snow leopard, google came up with very little related topics.

Thanks,

Ben.

tman07

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
this may be a stupid idea (you may have tried already), but i would just plug it in and see what happens. haha

It may just- work!

toonshorty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
you my friend are a genius!

One problem I have is how do I set garage band to to receive the input from my piano, process it (synth effects etc.) and then play it out of the mac speakers.

Garage band shows it's receiving an input but the iMac doesn't make a sound and my keyboard does.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
you my friend are a genius!

One problem I have is how do I set garage band to to receive the input from my piano, process it (synth effects etc.) and then play it out of the mac speakers.

Garage band shows it's receiving an input but the iMac doesn't make a sound and my keyboard does.

You do mave the two MIDI cables i the correct jacks? It is a common mistae to reverse them

In GB have you asigned a software instrument and is GB's volume (and the Mac's volume) turned up and you have asigned the audio out to the speakers?

Your keyboard will continue to make sound until you apply asetting to "disable local control". on my this is some kind of funtion setting. But turning the volume down works too.

toonshorty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Great, thanks. Got it working.

I knew the whole in to out MIDI setup, logical when you think about it but for newbies like me it caught me out the first time.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Great, thanks. Got it working.

I knew the whole in to out MIDI setup, logical when you think about it but for newbies like me it caught me out the first time.

Yes, IN goes to OUT, OUT goes to IN. This screwed me up the first time, too.

misterwebmaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
I'm looking to have a similar set-up. What brand and model midi-to-usb cables are you using? How's the lag, sound quality, etc? Are you able to capture different key velocities?

I have an old Casio cps-101 I'd like to hook up for use in GB.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm looking to have a similar set-up. What brand and model midi-to-usb cables are you using? How's the lag, sound quality, etc? Are you able to capture different key velocities?

I have an old Casio cps-101 I'd like to hook up for use in GB.

Any of the generic cables work. The "Uno" has LEDs that help you know if data is moving. Get one with LEDs. LEDs let you kknw the thing is "alive" or not You should not need any "drivers".

On a Mac runing one of the buillt-in sound in GB latency is non detectable, on the other of 10 ms.

Sound quality is mostly determined by the amp and speakers you have. There are third party virtual instruments that are truly state of the art should you need to and have the $$$. Look up "ivory" from Sythology as an example, it will run inside GB (or logic) or stand alone. "Pianoteq" is another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.