Generic mp3 player with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gadgetdad, Dec 30, 2008.

1. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

My son got a generic mp3 for Christmas and I was going to downloaded some of his songs to it from iTunes since I uploaded his cd's there. I have been reading that its not possible but the posts were very old. Is this still the case? Any alternatives? He uses mine currently but I want it back and not ready to shell out money for an iPod for an 8 year old.

2. BayouBengal macrumors regular

The short direct answer is no. BUT, if the files are not DRM protected you would be able to manually copy music files over to this generic player assuming it supports whatever format you ripped the CDs in. Typically the generic players have files loaded onto them like a USB flash drive would, drag and drop. You won't have the fancy management and sync like in iTunes, but if the player supports the file type and the file isn't DRM'd, drag/drop and ROCK OUT!

3. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Thanks for the response. I may end up just ripping the cd's to mp3 files and drag/drop them that way. What a pain the :eek::eek::eek:. Might just be easier to go get an ipod off ebay. :(