Generic Power adaptors work with Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TruBleu, Sep 25, 2015.

1. TruBleu macrumors regular

I'm a newbie to Apple Watch (actually yet to purchase one). I'm speaking to a person who has put up his AW for sale on Gumtree. He has the box and everything except the 5W folding pin UK adaptor. He said he would get a generic folding pin adapter. What I wanted to know is would generic adaptors work with Apple watch? Is it safe for me to go ahead with the purchase?

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Should be fine. Mine once said "This accessory not supported" when I plugged its cord into a Belkin surge protector/adapter with USB sockets, but it appeared to charge okay.

Still, looking at a teardown/analysis of Apple's chargers versus the super-cheap adapters makes me think that Apple's are better built, with proper grounding and less noise in the output signal. I can look for the article if anyone wants to see.

3. bluegt macrumors newbie

I've charged my watch using all sorts of USB power adapters, generic wall plugs, laptop USB, 4 port charging stations... no issues so far.

That said, I'm not familiar with what type of surge protection & other issues that the magnetic charger may have so prefer to use a high-quality charger whenever possible.