generic smart cover or apple smart cover

Cheplampardfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Los angeles
Hi guys !! I just ordered my first ipad ....NEW 32gb white wifi. .... i am looking to buy a smart cover, however on eBay these generic covers are going for $20 to $25 cheaper than original apple smart covers... my question is, are these generic covers similar to the original apple smart covers?

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Generic smart covers normally have a way of falling apart. They may look the same but the built quality is horrible. Originally they were made in Shenzhen, China where they copied the design and then put low grade materials in to lower the cost. The ones I saw demoed in HK fell apart in minutes.

tsekh

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Generic smart covers normally have a way of falling apart. They may look the same but the built quality is horrible. Originally they were made in Shenzhen, China where they copied the design and then put low grade materials in to lower the cost. The ones I saw demoed in HK fell apart in minutes.
My Apple's SmartCover (bought from an Apple Store) also fell apart, just to let you know.

Cheplampardfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Los angeles
Good to know . Thank you

----------

My Apple's SmartCover (bought from an Apple Store) also fell apart, just to let you know.
Oh wow.. I'm gonna go with original still lol

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Check out the product pages for most any of the supposedly Apple brand smart covers on Amazon. Many people who are ordering smart covers through Amazon are apparently getting counterfeit products. So if you want some customer reviews (and they don't seem all that favorable), that's where you can [surprisingly] find them.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It's not much more to go with the real deal. If it ever breaks, at least you know Apple can stand behind it.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Apple will stand behind their smart covers. Most online sources will get their smart covers from an OEM in Shenzhen. Keep in mind, this same factory produces the real ones too. The packaging is exactly the same and the products look exactly the same. There is however a difference in weight between the 2 models. The lightweight model is the counterfeit one which falls apart within 4-5 uses (when you attach and detach from the iPad). The real one will possibly fall apart with rough use of about 300+ uses. It's a pretty big difference.

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I have used my Apple Smart Cover for a year next month and it is still in perfect condition. It is a polyurethane one, not the leather.

I also should add that I use it with a ZUM Ultimate SC back case which prevents the Smart Cover from coming off, which they tend to do with great frequency. Not sure if it will fit my "new iPad" and haven't heard if ZUM will be making a different size.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's not much more to go with the real deal. If it ever breaks, at least you know Apple can stand behind it.
This. If anything happens to it within the year, Apple will replace it. I mean, short of spilling something on it. I've had mine since I got my iPad 2 (black leather) and it looks a bit worn but still functional. I think the wear gives it "character". :D

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
I bought a faux leather one off eBay. It works okay, but now is starting to show some wear and is going to fall apart soon it seems. I just bought a red poly smart cover from jacobsparts.com for $11.45 shipped. I'll see how it compares to my light blue genuine smart cover.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I bought a generic cover for £4 on eBay. Within two hours it had fallen apart and the fabric at the bottom started to fray.

I fixed it and kept it for a while but it kept falling apart, so I'm coverless for now! Might buy an official one soon.

I had a go at the guy who sold it to me because it said "designed by apple" on the product, which I'm pretty sure is illegal when it was actually a generic.

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I originally bought an official black Apple smart cover but them I came across th one I use now and had to have it. It's more expensive then the official one but much cooler and more stylish. Plus you can send in a photo to get a customised one made. The main downside is that they are a small operation and the covers are hand made and can take several weeks to arrive. Here is. Link to the particular one I have. It also comes with a wood back cover which I don't use.

http://www.grovemade.com/collections/ipad-2-case/products/dreamcatcher-ipad-2-case

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
yeah the apples ones have a year warranty, plus the poly is so cheap why not just go official. But i'd recommend going leather, well worth the extra $$

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
The official smart cover is a rip off since you need to buy a back cover too. Get a Mareware full body cover that includes a back cover and a smart cover for less than the price of Apple's official one, and it's dead slim.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Is there a way of telling a real one vs. a fake one? I bought a used "genuine" one on eBay from a seller with good feedback, $19 for like new.

I won't have it on all the time, so I guess if it is fake it won't be the biggest deal.