generic smart cover or apple smart cover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cheplampardfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Cheplampardfan macrumors member

Hi guys !! I just ordered my first ipad ....NEW 32gb white wifi. .... i am looking to buy a smart cover, however on eBay these generic covers are going for $20 to $25 cheaper than original apple smart covers... my question is, are these generic covers similar to the original apple smart covers?

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Generic smart covers normally have a way of falling apart. They may look the same but the built quality is horrible. Originally they were made in Shenzhen, China where they copied the design and then put low grade materials in to lower the cost. The ones I saw demoed in HK fell apart in minutes.

3. tsekh macrumors member

My Apple's SmartCover (bought from an Apple Store) also fell apart, just to let you know.

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Thats because it was most likely made in the same place.

5. Cheplampardfan thread starter macrumors member

Good to know . Thank you

----------

Oh wow.. I'm gonna go with original still lol

6. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Check out the product pages for most any of the supposedly Apple brand smart covers on Amazon. Many people who are ordering smart covers through Amazon are apparently getting counterfeit products. So if you want some customer reviews (and they don't seem all that favorable), that's where you can [surprisingly] find them.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's not much more to go with the real deal. If it ever breaks, at least you know Apple can stand behind it.

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Apple will stand behind their smart covers. Most online sources will get their smart covers from an OEM in Shenzhen. Keep in mind, this same factory produces the real ones too. The packaging is exactly the same and the products look exactly the same. There is however a difference in weight between the 2 models. The lightweight model is the counterfeit one which falls apart within 4-5 uses (when you attach and detach from the iPad). The real one will possibly fall apart with rough use of about 300+ uses. It's a pretty big difference.

9. ninerfan macrumors regular

I have used my Apple Smart Cover for a year next month and it is still in perfect condition. It is a polyurethane one, not the leather.

I also should add that I use it with a ZUM Ultimate SC back case which prevents the Smart Cover from coming off, which they tend to do with great frequency. Not sure if it will fit my "new iPad" and haven't heard if ZUM will be making a different size.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This. If anything happens to it within the year, Apple will replace it. I mean, short of spilling something on it. I've had mine since I got my iPad 2 (black leather) and it looks a bit worn but still functional. I think the wear gives it "character". :D

11. chris566 macrumors regular

I bought a faux leather one off eBay. It works okay, but now is starting to show some wear and is going to fall apart soon it seems. I just bought a red poly smart cover from jacobsparts.com for $11.45 shipped. I'll see how it compares to my light blue genuine smart cover.

12. matttye macrumors 601

I bought a generic cover for £4 on eBay. Within two hours it had fallen apart and the fabric at the bottom started to fray.

I fixed it and kept it for a while but it kept falling apart, so I'm coverless for now! Might buy an official one soon.

I had a go at the guy who sold it to me because it said "designed by apple" on the product, which I'm pretty sure is illegal when it was actually a generic.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I originally bought an official black Apple smart cover but them I came across th one I use now and had to have it. It's more expensive then the official one but much cooler and more stylish. Plus you can send in a photo to get a customised one made. The main downside is that they are a small operation and the covers are hand made and can take several weeks to arrive. Here is. Link to the particular one I have. It also comes with a wood back cover which I don't use.

http://www.grovemade.com/collections/ipad-2-case/products/dreamcatcher-ipad-2-case

14. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

yeah the apples ones have a year warranty, plus the poly is so cheap why not just go official. But i'd recommend going leather, well worth the extra $$

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There is nothing quite like the feeling of dead cow skin against shiny electronics...

16. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Luxury to the fullest!

17. homeboy macrumors 6502

The official smart cover is a rip off since you need to buy a back cover too. Get a Mareware full body cover that includes a back cover and a smart cover for less than the price of Apple's official one, and it's dead slim.

18. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

You're right, I'd much rather have live cow skin against my electronics...

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd recommend against live cow skin. Tends to have some unpleasant aromas.

Plus the cow is h3ll on your carpets. :eek:

20. Mdifilm macrumors regular

My leather smart cover is falling apart on the handle area. I had to buy a new one.

21. jreuschl macrumors 6502

Is there a way of telling a real one vs. a fake one? I bought a used "genuine" one on eBay from a seller with good feedback, $19 for like new.

I won't have it on all the time, so I guess if it is fake it won't be the biggest deal.

22. Cheplampardfan thread starter macrumors member

thanks to everyone for responding.. i bought an apple smart cover poly red for my white 32 gb wifi... can't wait until the 16th