generic USB mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sfgiants16, Dec 4, 2007.

1. sfgiants16 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am brand new to Mac and have a rather silly question. I just got a MBP with Leopard pre-installed. I wanted to use a standard mouse instead of the touchpad when I am at home so I plugged in a usb optical mouses that I had been using with my PC. The red light under the mouse comes on but OSX won't recognize it. Thinking that it may be the mouse, I tried another one- same thing happened. I have Windows Vista installed in Boot Camp and the mouse works fine in Windows. So I am wondering: does OSX only recognize Apple mice? I would be really disappointed if this were the case. I think both mice were made by Creative but they don't suppy any drivers. Can I use generic mice with OSX or am I going to be roped into buying an overpriced Apple mouse?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have yet to have an external input device fail to be recognized by OS X.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Any mouse should work. If it's not working, I don't know why. Does creative use special drivers or something..?

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Even though they say "Creative" on the outside, they are probably M$ or Logitech inside, and should at least have the basic 2 button + scroll wheel functionality even w/o any drivers.

You could try to d/l & install M$'s "intellipoint" drivers & see if they help (surprisingly they DO actually work very well, trust me, I have them on my QS/10.5) Or pay a few $$ & get USB Overdrive, which works with 99.5% of rodents out there :)

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Lucky you...I'm faced with a used-once-anually old printer with drivers going to Vista or to OS9...

Its not worth updating, but it would be nice (and probably quite easy) for Apple to allow old printer/scanner drivers to work with OSX on Intel Macs...

6. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I have a Logitech USB mouse and it works perfectly fine...