Genie effect and grid stack are choppy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zign, Oct 26, 2007.

1. zign macrumors 6502

zign

In regards to stacks, I dropped my applications folder with 89 items onto the dock and it is choppy when unfolds and folds. Is this because of the number of files?

Genie effect is also choppy. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Everything else seems to be running fine.

I did archive and install.
    Spotlight indexing has finished about 3 hours ago.
    I restarted a couple of times already.

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

No, works fine on My iMac.

(wait... opening screen sharing)

even works on my G4 iBook.

and G4 Mac Mini

3. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

So if you drop your application folder onto the dock it opens up as a grid just fine? What kind of install did you do?

4. Legacy macrumors 6502

I'm also experiencing choppiness on all counts...it might be the graphics drivers for the GMA.

5. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

I have mbp (signature)

6. Legacy macrumors 6502

Maybe processor throttling hasnt been got right then? Have you tried on a power source?

7. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I have the computer in my sig and everything is very smooth. Everything is faster than 10.4 for me. It seems like I added RAM.

8. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

Yes :)

9. Blacky macrumors member

Have the same problem, I blame the really crappy drivers for my gf8600gt-m ...
    the performance is worse than it was on my macbook, expose/genie effect/spaces, sometimes incredibly smooth, other times incredibly choppy.

And apple ignores the problem, so don't expect a solution

10. Legacy macrumors 6502

It's better now...I had MS Word open..much better when I closed it..its a CPU issue I think. Expose is still choppy with lots of windows but the rest is all good. Leopard is like wine gets better with time.. testing battery now..

11. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

Stacks seem to be fine if i don't have too many items, but 40 photos for example makes it choppy.
    I can try fresh install, but I really didn't want to install all my software again.

12. cuanurse macrumors regular

Choppy everywhere for me as well. Seems to have slowed my computer up a LOT.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I get video tearing and stuttering as well. Doing almost anything.

14. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Chopyness in spaces/expose and dashboard. Stacks aren't too bad. Overall its slower than Tiger on my MacBook as far as graphics go. Spotlight and anything purely CPU seems quicker. archive + install

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Dashboard is silky smooth, better than Tiger. Spaces transitions are pretty smooth, as are Stacks animations. Not perfect like Expose and Dashboard, but almost ... :)

17. duyvan82 macrumors member

Everything is incredibly smooth here (dashboard, expose, spaces), just the dock and stacks with 30+ items aren't >_<

The dock is really choppy, especially with that glass effect enabled. Stacks fan view is super smooth, grid isn't quite as smooth when there are 30+ items.

Looks like a driver issue. You guys aren't the only ones to experience this, I must admit it's really frustrating :/

Oh and I'm on a Macbook CD 1.83Ghz with 2GB RAM

18. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

I went for archive and install option originally. Erase and install fixed the problem...

19. beasleyiv macrumors newbie

I've got really choppy genie effect, even scale kind of sucks. Spaces, dashboard, and stacks are smooth. Clean install C2D 2.4 256MB vRAM. :(

20. jon31rm macrumors member

Hold down the Shift key when opening a stack. If it's still jerky and lagging, then it's not a performance issue, its an animation issue.

I've got the Applications folder in Stacks, and in slo-mo, it's very jerky in the animation. Just not very polished IMO.

21. ktrix macrumors newbie

Poor performance on animation effects (e.g., Dashboard, Spaces, Stacks, etc.) seems to be a widespread problem with Leopard. See, for example, this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375482

I submitted a bug report to Apple. I'm not sure if it helps, but I doubt it hurts.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

I hope this is addressed in the first update. Otherwise I'll be extremely disappointed with Apple. I mean, my MacBook's only a month old. It shouldn't have any performance issues on basic tasks like minimizing a window.

For the record, I upgraded from Tiger, but others have experienced the same problem with clean installs.

22. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I haven't noticed anything with the Genie effect, but the Stacks grid view is a bit choppy. Did an archive and install on a 2.4Ghz alu iMac, 3GB RAM.

23. TheRuggedLion macrumors member

TheRuggedLion

Hate to revive an old thread, but I still have the choppiness in grid view for my applications stack, even after the iMac software update. I have a total of 62 apps for stacks to display, I wonder if more ram would help?

24. zen macrumors 68000

zen

No it won't. 20" 2.4 GHz alu iMac here, 3GB RAM. Stacks choppy as hell.

25. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I didn't (awaiting a new power supply ****ing hell hurry up I need to skype my gf) have any of these problems even on my ***** old(a year already damn) coreduo