genieo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TCrowe, Jul 14, 2014.

1. TCrowe macrumors member

TCrowe

I hope that is the right spelling. I downloaded a zip. file and I think this adware was bundled with it. I can't get it off the drive and it is pirating both Chrome and FireFox.

I tried an adware remover twice and it is still there although the second time I used the remover it said that it was not. Upon restart it still pirated Chrome.

Looks like it is that time to get an anti-virus. Sad but that is life.

I am a bit gunshy as to what AV to install. When I had PC's many years ago I had Norton and Trend and one of them was impossible to remove so I am asking here.

Incidentally, thanks for the forum! I plan to have a wonderful time with all of you. TCrowe - Glen Ellen Photography

2. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

Avast for Mac

I think I solved this "ginieo"problem. I downloaded and ran Avast and I seem to be clear and have Chrome browser back to normal. Fingers crossed!

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Now I would suggest to uninstall Avast....

Next time you get an adware/malware, use this first : http://www.thesafemac.com/art/

Works very well on Genieo and others.

Avast is not the best tool to protect your Mac (assuming you need a tool to protect it, which is not my opinion).
    It will slow down your machine and sometimes creates some weird problems.

4. TCrowe, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

OK, I got Avast as I had never had a problem since I got the Mac about 7 years ago. I had read a couple posts here and Avast was mentioned. I will go ahead and uninstall Avast and install your recommendation. I did get and run the TSMART zip. It did not remove the adware. It removed something called "spigot" and "Awesome jpg" and one other. I saw that the TS was in public testing and emailed the fellow my results.TCrowe

I did use TSMART zip. and I still had genieo showing up on Chrome and hijacking the entry page. It is all back to normal today. I wrote Mr. Thomas and he said that TSMART DID delete genieo and I hadn't physically changed the browser back to normal. Either way it is running great now. Incidentally, it also brough Yahoo with it. That too is gone now.