Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I would recommend that you take care when ordering what seems like the 'right' battery (and the 'right' price) for your specific laptop. While there seems to be a wide and varied choice, I believe that a great many of these batteries available via Amazon, eBay and from online stores will prove to be a waste of money – unreliable, short-lived and some even potentially dangerous.

I have an early 2009 white MacBook and a while ago I was obliged to dispose of its battery because of the swelling issue. I do not use this machine as my main computer. However, my own subsequent efforts to verify a reliable battery source for this laptop have led me to the following conclusions, which may be helpful to you:

1) You could always try to source a 'pre-used' battery for your 2008 MacBook Pro. In theory, you could get one that has enough life in it to work for you for a decent extended period. The trick is to track down a reliable battery of this kind. (I recently bought a previously used battery for £20 (just under 26 dollars) and was assured that it worked, though when it arrived in fact there was insufficient charge in it. I was offered my money back and instead we split the amount I paid. I kept the battery for cosmetic reasons – to fill the gap in the base of the laptop until I get a fully working battery). So, be careful if you go the pre-used route.

2) I have found that for my MacBook there is a UK supplier for the NewerTech NuPower battery, brand-new, as seen on the everymac.com website in the USA. Last time I looked it was priced at around seventy dollars on their site (though the same battery is more expensive from a UK supplier). I imagine a battery for your laptop would be priced similarly.

3) As I'm based in the UK I was also pleased to see that Duracell Direct will supply me with a seemingly reliable third-party battery for my MacBook for about £67 (about 86 dollars). This battery is made by 2-Power and, like the NewerTech NuPower, are the only two seemingly reliable options for my own needs. I suspect this will apply to you too.

There may be perfectly legitimate and decent other third-party batteries out there, but it is something of a lottery whereas the two makes I mention have good reports and, based on their specs, don't seem to be cheap knock-offs as so many are.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to source an original Apple battery. Those purporting to be such are unlikely to be what is claimed.

I'm afraid there is probably no easy, cheap answer to your battery needs. I'll be trying the 2-Power due to its price here in the UK and have high hopes of it. Good luck with your efforts.

Reactions: avz

avz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I would recommend that you take care when ordering what seems like the 'right' battery (and the 'right' price) for your specific laptop. While there seems to be a wide and varied choice, I believe that a great many of these batteries available via Amazon, eBay and from online stores will prove to be a waste of money – unreliable, short-lived and some even potentially dangerous.

I have an early 2009 white MacBook and a while ago I was obliged to dispose of its battery because of the swelling issue. I do not use this machine as my main computer. However, my own subsequent efforts to verify a reliable battery source for this laptop have led me to the following conclusions, which may be helpful to you:

1) You could always try to source a 'pre-used' battery for your 2008 MacBook Pro. In theory, you could get one that has enough life in it to work for you for a decent extended period. The trick is to track down a reliable battery of this kind. (I recently bought a previously used battery for £20 (just under 26 dollars) and was assured that it worked, though when it arrived in fact there was insufficient charge in it. I was offered my money back and instead we split the amount I paid. I kept the battery for cosmetic reasons – to fill the gap in the base of the laptop until I get a fully working battery). So, be careful if you go the pre-used route.

2) I have found that for my MacBook there is a UK supplier for the NewerTech NuPower battery, brand-new, as seen on the everymac.com website in the USA. Last time I looked it was priced at around seventy dollars on their site (though the same battery is more expensive from a UK supplier). I imagine a battery for your laptop would be priced similarly.

3) As I'm based in the UK I was also pleased to see that Duracell Direct will supply me with a seemingly reliable third-party battery for my MacBook for about £67 (about 86 dollars). This battery is made by 2-Power and, like the NewerTech NuPower, are the only two seemingly reliable options for my own needs. I suspect this will apply to you too.

There may be perfectly legitimate and decent other third-party batteries out there, but it is something of a lottery whereas the two makes I mention have good reports and, based on their specs, don't seem to be cheap knock-offs as so many are.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to source an original Apple battery. Those purporting to be such are unlikely to be what is claimed.

I'm afraid there is probably no easy, cheap answer to your battery needs. I'll be trying the 2-Power due to its price here in the UK and have high hopes of it. Good luck with your efforts.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My approach is very similar to yours.

1) I recently bought a "pre-used" original Apple battery for $28. After about a year I noticed that the battery became slightly swollen and recycled it.

2) NewerTech battery would be my first choice but it is unavailable in my current location(Russia).

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
Why don't you try Duracell Direct (UK website)? Perhaps they will supply an equivalent 2-Power battery to you in Russia? Their site says they will supply in Europe. If you do contact them about delivery options, also get as much information as you can about the 2-Power battery suited to your particular MacBook.

Please note, while I cannot say with any certainty or from experience that a 2-Power battery wil be the solution for your needs, or mine for that matter, I do plan to try one myself simply because it seems like my (and probably your) options are very limited. It would be easy to waste a lot of money without getting much in the way of an appropriate result.

avz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Why don't you try Duracell Direct (UK website)? Perhaps they will supply an equivalent 2-Power battery to you in Russia? Their site says they will supply in Europe. If you do contact them about delivery options, also get as much information as you can about the 2-Power battery suited to your particular MacBook.

Please note, while I cannot say with any certainty or from experience that a 2-Power battery wil be the solution for your needs, or mine for that matter, I do plan to try one myself simply because it seems like my (and probably your) options are very limited. It would be easy to waste a lot of money without getting much in the way of an appropriate result.

Yes, Duracell Direct UK does have a battery I want for £82, but they don't ship to Russia unfortunately. Oh well I still have my old original battery(very bad health but at least it's not swollen) that I bought from Apple Store in 2013.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
That's a real shame that they don't ship to your location. Try an extensive search online for that particular battery but with a Russian reseller who can supply it. You never know – there may be someone.

Otherwise, maybe contact your eBay Hong Kong seller and ask how they came to have 'original Apple batteries', or are they just Apple-branded copies. Ask the specific question and see what they say in reply. I can't imagine that they are genuine Apple products but it's worth asking.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
OWC won't ship to your location? That's too bad, I always buy batteries from them, bought on for my Son's 2008 Macbook there, and they are great!!

avz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
OWC won't ship to your location? That's too bad, I always buy batteries from them, bought on for my Son's 2008 Macbook there, and they are great!!

I ended up getting the battery from the DuracellDirect. So far, so good and I believe the build quality is similar to the one from the OWC.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 1.17.38 pm.png

Reactions: Ennev72

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
Good to hear that the 2-Power battery is providing reliable service.

I thought you said thatDuracell Direct didn't ship to Russia? How did you eventually manage to get your battery?

avz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Good to hear that the 2-Power battery is providing reliable service.

I thought you said thatDuracell Direct didn't ship to Russia? How did you eventually manage to get your battery?

Yes, 2-power seems to be a very good battery brand. Thanks for the advice.

I traveled to Australia shortly after I asked the question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.