Genius Appointment Over Error message 9

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maximus.darby, Jul 19, 2010.

1. maximus.darby macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

As some of you might have read, i've been struggling with the error message 9 when updating my iphone 4. After trying every trick in the book, including Recboot, different accounts, mac and pc, DFU mode i've booked myself an appointment for tomorrow evening.

As i've never had a genius appointment before, can somebody please clear this up for me.

Do i need any i.d to prove it's me that reserved it, how long do I get to talk to them? and will they replace my faulty phone with a new one? and not a refurbished one? i paid for a new one i expect a new one back!

thanks guys

2. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

No, you don't need to bring ID. Just go to the "receptionist" at the front-center of the store with an iPad, and tell them you want to confirm your Genius appointment. With the iPhone 4 still being relatively new, their replacement units seem to be new retail units set aside for warranty replacements instead of refurbished units.

I suppose that once the demand levels off, the new units will eventually be replaced by refurbished phones.

3. grodgers macrumors member

The exact same thing happened to me. I made an appointment for the same day at the genius bar. The Genius made one attempt to update the phone to 4.0.1, got the same error and in 10 minutes I was out the door with a new phone.

Not to worry - you'll get it replaced today.

BTW, replacement unit came out of one of their little-black-boxes, and not retail packaging. I highly doubt that it's a refurb, nonetheless since it's so early in the game.

4. maximus.darby thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your helps guys, hopefully won't be long until I have a phone I can use,

Silly me thinking that if you pay over 200 quid you would get a working phone....what was I thinking...:p