Genius Appointment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c14nhl, Jul 16, 2011.

1. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Hi

This isn't a MacBook Pro specific question, but seeing as it's my MacBook Pro I'm taking in, I thought I'd post this here.

I'm taking my machine in to see a Genius next week. Having never done this before, I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been like?

I know I will have to leave my machine as it has a hardware issue. I'd just like to know how this process usually works? Do they send my machine somewhere central to be looked at, or will any repairs be made within the store?

Cheers

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Usually any repairs needed are done in store. Depending on what is wrong and if they have the parts on hand , they will have your 'puter for a couple of days to a week-just depends. But they will give you an estimate of time and any options you have.

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Usually most repairs are done in-store but you can ask for it to be shipped out to a repair facility. As for the time it takes to repair, they will always quote you 7-10 business days, even though in my case the repairs were done 4-6 days later even when they shipped my unit out.

4. davmcn macrumors regular

If anything you do before you drop off your Mac, make sure to do a full backup.

5. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

I've taken my MacBook Pro in to the Apple Store two times, both times were good experiences and what I needed fixed was fixed. Just back up your data

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I've gone in for 3 issues:

1st was my hard drive, SMART said it had failed. They looked at it for 3 seconds, and took 3 days to get it back.

Next was my girlfriends MBP, her harddrive was clicking. Of course it didn't click in the store, the Apple guy said it was probably the SMS kicking in. In talkin to the guy I said that I knew the difference in sounds, he put his eat up to the hard drive and agreed with me. They had a drive in stock and changed it in 30 min.

Last was when my SD car slot stopped reading, needed a new logic board. I think it took 5 days to get it back

I've been very happy with my repair experiences.

7. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I've had several experienaces with the Genius Bar, most good but some were simply aweful. I think the worst experience I had at a Genius Bar was when the genus was so belligerent and nasty that he took it upon himself to walk out and apologize to my wife and I for his rotten attitude.

Rather than rehash negative experiences, I'll point to the positive ones. I think the larger stores tend to have better customer service than the smaller ones, too.

a) I asked about how to get extra mesh caps for my in-ear headphones while I was there for my iPhone. The Genius handed me two extra pair of L-size. :)

b) My Macbook Pro was not repaired correctly by the genius bar staff while it was in for repair. The manager had them replace the whole top case while I waited (approx. 30min). It was no-hassle to get it fixed right, apologies all over the place for the inconvenience.

c) My wife's Macbook battery was dying prematurely. I had taken it to another Apple Store, one closer to my house, and the genius bar said the battery was fine and must be something wrong w/ the computer. Something told me they were wrong so I took it to another store the next day and told the genius I wanted a 2nd opinion. Not only was I right that it was the battery (not the logic board) but he replaced it for free at no cost to us. He even lamented that it was a surprise the other store missed it. Excellent service. :)

Mediocre service is probably more rare--I've either had really good service (80% of the time) or really poor service (10-15% of the time).