Genius Apt Tomorrow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFPoster, Feb 10, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Just booked my appointment for tomorrow morning at Apple for my early-2011 MacBook Pro (spec's in sig). Working on a replacement along with a replacement iPhone 4S.

Issues I'm having:
    Battery draining within 2 hours
    Opening documents, files, load time, browsing is a 15minute process.
    Very very slow speeds
    Memory crashes
    Screen dims out throughout the day and no it's not a setting issue its hard to explain but i'll have everything on max settings and then it just auto-dims for like 15minutes and re-brightens when it feels like it. as if the screen gets hot so it dims to cool down then boosts back up.
    Application crashes
    Closing the mac and reopening takes 3-5 minutes before I can PW in.
    Lion is extremely slow compared to SL.

Also my iPhone 4S:
    battery draining
    service drop - i'll have 4 bars anywhere and all the sudden it drops to 0 - loss of 3g service, edge, etc for 2 minutes then reconnects
    apps constantly crashing - every app I open crashes the first time, then works the second time. then during use they crash as I use them.
    Siri never types anything I say during a text even a simple "Hello".
    Siri never responds to any command I say, request or ask.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    What do you mean by that?
    Check your Energy Saver settings or install Caffeine to temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac and display awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.
    Which apps? What error messages are shown, if any?
    Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You might have a problem with the hard drive or something like that. I'm sure they can fix that.

Concerning the screen brightness issue:
    Did you check the system preferences? By default, the system adjusts the brightness automatically. Have a look at both the display and the energy saver preferences.

Good luck with the appointment, I hope they can help you.

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Everything is at like 0.07 - 3.4% in processes. There isn't that much stuff running, nothing demanding.

I just tossed that in there as in when opening an 8mb excel file and it takes 15-20minutes and then sometimes just stalls even longer. No true way to explain this other than it feels like a memory crash.

Done these even with this it still dims it's weird.
    Excel, Word, Outlook, Pages, Keynote, Safari, Chrome, Mail, iChat, FCP X and Pixelmator.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I’ve seen poor HDD performance, laggy application access, etc., in several posts related to file permissions. Maybe try running Disk Util and repairing permissions?

At any rate, if you’re experience an actual hardware failure none of these gyrations are going to help, and since you’re having a phone issue too, it’s probably a good idea to let Apple sort it all out :)

Good luck!

7. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Doing this now.

Thanks! Repaired permissions already did nothing in my case.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I'm a bit confused. What happened to the genius appointment? Were they not able to help you?